Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

deck speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:23 PM
dr1965
2nd Gear Member

Default deck speakers

i have been looking around for some kind of speaker set up for the rear deck. I don't want to hack into the deck, so i am looking for some ideas. The stereo i have is a reproduction type, and there is wires already run to the rear. Not looking for a big killer system, just some sound in the rear. Picks and ideas are welcome.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:41 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Default RE: deck speakers

Just run a nice pair of 6x9's for the rear.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:52 PM
dr1965
2nd Gear Member

the 6x9 thing is what i am thinking, but i really didn't want to cut up the deck. Theres no speakers back there, just the wires. The only sound i have is coming out of the one speaker in the dash. I thought of 6x9 boxes, just setting on the deck, but will that look like crap? I am just confused. Is there a replacement deck with speaker cups in them?
Old 02-05-2008, 09:13 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

not sure about the 65 but on a 66 there is a hole cut in the metal part of the package tray for a 6x9 and two holes to either side of it. My PO had someone do a custom job with two 6x9s in the back using the two holes on the sides of the 6x9 factory hole. They bolted the speakers to wood with the correct size hole in it and then screwed the wood/speaker pieces to the two holes. it wasnt a perfect fit, but it sounds great. The trunk acts kind of like a speaker box and helps the sound out.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Art Brock
2nd Gear Member

"My PO had someone do a custom job with two 6x9s in the back using the two holes on the sides of the 6x9 factory hole."

I put a pair of Infinity 6 x 8 speakersin those holes. They fit pretty well. I did have to drill 4 small 1/8" holes for the mounting screws.
I also got a pair of foam speaker baffles from crutchfield and put them in the holes first. That protects the speakers from any moisture that may get in the trunk and helps the bass response a little I think.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:09 PM
stangimgood
2nd Gear Member

i think you can find a package shelf at cjponyparts.com i have seem them there and thought about it,but i enjoy the sound of new mufflers too much to add new speakers.......

not connected to cjponyparts in any way..shape..or form
Old 02-06-2008, 05:16 PM
outlaw66

I put a pair of 6x9 sony Xplodes in mine. They fit with a little "massaging" and sound incredible. Many people have asked me what kind of subs I have in the trunk, unaware that I only have a pair of lowlyWalmart speakers. You might not want to get this far away from original, but if you dont mind the modern look and fitof the Xplodes, they performreally well. Plus itsfun to watch em bounce under heavy bass! I alsothink Sony makes 6 inch Xplodes, maybe easier to fit?? Anywayjust my.02 cents.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:18 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

I would think the 65 back deck is the same as the 66.All you may have to do is drill some holes for the mounting screws. I replaced mine that were blown. I think you can kind of see the speakers in this image:

Old 02-06-2008, 05:19 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: outlaw66

I put a pair of 6x9 sony Xplodes in mine. They fit with a little "massaging" and sound incredible. Many people have asked me what kind of subs I have in the trunk, unaware that I only have a pair of lowly Walmart speakers. You might not want to get this far away from original, but if you dont mind the modern look and fit of the Xplodes, they perform really well. Plus its fun to watch em bounce under heavy bass! I also think Sony makes 6 inch Xplodes, maybe easier to fit?? Anyway just my .02 cents.

Just FYI, xplodes are for music with heavy, constant bass (rap/ hip hop) and are not as good for people who listen to rock. My recommendation for someone buying speakers is to go to the local sound store that has speakers to demo and just listen to your type of music on their speakers and see which one is best. I got some kenwoods cuz I listen to a little of everything and I love them.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:28 PM
cmanf
3rd Gear Member

My former setup in my mustang was a sony setup.
6x9 in the rear shelf. Itook the speaker grills(covers) and traces them on a pice of .75" mdf.
I did it 4 times. screwed the 2 halves together, that gave me 1.5" thick.
I cut out the shape and painted it to match the dark grey covers.
Looked great gave me the lift to fit them in the factory holes without cutting anything.
You would have thought it was a tall speaker cover when it was finished. I did smooth and use a lil bondo came out great!
Wish I had some old picts but I'm sure you get the idea.

Quick Reply: deck speakers