Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

engine in - won't start with key

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:14 PM
SalikDDD
3rd Gear Member

Default engine in - won't start with key

well.. the engine is in, but it won't start with the key. using a manual starter switch it'll turn over and run but not with the key.

when i turn it, the brake warning light blips on and stuff and the shifter column light stays on - what's up with that? i believe i have everything connected correctly according to the diagrams the only things i elminiated was the connections to the water temp gauge and the oil pressure sensor (which is a big thick black wire) but anyway - since the brake warning light was disconnected from the block why does it come on?

the only wire from the firewall i have connected are the 2 4 prong ones for the transmission and the 3 prong one from the dash with only the red main wire going to the + side of the coil.. is this right? that's how it was when i took it off but..

if anyone can help.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:33 PM
SalikDDD
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: engine in - won't start with key

also i forgot to mention the starter won't even click when i turn the key - but like i said i bypassed it all and it cranks - so i'm guessing it's the ignition wire itself from the ignition to somewhere near the connector, i guess tomorrow i'll disconnect it from the pigtail on the firewall and check for power there. :|
Old 02-13-2008, 09:06 PM
green_blurr
3rd Gear Member

Better trace all your lines and check your connections get a test light out too.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:24 PM
SalikDDD
3rd Gear Member

used a test light, everything gets power when it's supposed to so.. i'm betting on i accidentally unplugged something from the ignition and whatnot but who knows..
Old 02-13-2008, 10:08 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I know you should use an oil pressure sensor. Also check all of your wires for good connection. My dad and i had that problem with our truck we are restoring. Is the engine EFI or carbed? Then check all of your fuses to make sure you didn't short one.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:16 PM
SalikDDD
3rd Gear Member

i have another oil pressure gauge that's mechanical, since the electric one was all crapped up. it's carb'd - it cranks and runs just not with using the key which is why i guess i'm narrowing it to something with the wiring for the actual key (ignition) itself. - i looked at the fuses but none seemed bad, is there another fuse panel besides the one under the dash nit he center .. i didn't see much aside "Dome light" etc and such, but nothing for starter or whatnot unless it isn't marked
Old 02-13-2008, 10:43 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

in a 66 there is a panel on the driver side above the kick panel. If everything but the engine is working then it must be the ignition wires, so just as a check i would be sure all your connections are clean and tight and everything... if you havent already.

on a side note, does the engine run or just turn over? out of curiosity...
Old 02-13-2008, 10:47 PM
SalikDDD
3rd Gear Member

lol when i jump the points on the solenoid it cranks and runs perfectly. (just need to adjust the rockers) but it runs fine, and shuts off with the key. just won't start when u turn it
Old 02-13-2008, 11:28 PM
toolwench
2nd Gear Member

I once had a similar situation except that the car would start, but not stay running unless I jiggled the key or reached my hand behind the switch and jiggled the wires there.

I checked everything backward and forward and then just got myself a new switch because I figured 30 years on the original one was probably long enough to warrant replacement on a daily driver. And it was a good thing it came with about 3 inches of harness. The plastic connector on my old one had melted away around the center wire which didn't do wonders for connectivity in the run position.

Might want to do a visual check on your switch and its wires. If the rest of your ignition system is fine and the car runs, it sounds like the start position of your ignition switch is malfunctioning.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:32 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

if you have an automatic, check if you've forgotten to connect the parking safety switch
The engien will only crank when gear is in park position. If you don't have that connected, then it won't crank just like in your case.
Just an idea ...
do you have a testlight or voltmeter? what year is your car ?

Quick Reply: engine in - won't start with key