Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Seat belt options?

Old 02-20-2008, 10:34 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Default Seat belt options?

I need to purchase belts for my 67 and curious about my options. How poor of a design are lapbelts in these cars? I dont want to get a facefull of steering wheel or a steel dash if an accident should occur. I'm considering either getting lapbelts al-round, or laps in the back and 3points up front. Price is also a concern, so what do youall recommend?
Nic
Old 02-20-2008, 10:42 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Seat belt options?

if you're afraid of a steering wheel marking in your face, then my guess lapbelts in the front are a no go ....

Old 02-20-2008, 11:09 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I realize price is a concern, but that's not an area I'd "cheap out" on. The 3 point in the front is a must to me. I'm not sure about '67s but my '66 steering column is a spear pointed directly at my chest. At a bare minimum, 3 point front belts, at best I'll replace with a collapsible column. I'm pretty far away from having to make that decision though.

For rear, assess your realistic needs. Will anyone ever ride back there? In my case the answer is no, but I'll put the lap belts in and tuck them under the seat just in case.

Safety was not near the issue it is now when these cars were first built, but that's no excuse for not upgrading.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:51 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I understand what you mean about "cheaping out" on the seatbelts, totally agree. I have made a list of stuff I need to finish up my interior and am just trying to keep the total amount reasonable.

Like you said, the back seat isnt as important since this seat is used much less than the fronts. New lapbelts are only about 25 per set, so that sounds like a good deal in the rear.

I have no experience with 3point harnesses. Do you need to modify anything for them to be installed? Can they work with stock style seats?...
Old 02-20-2008, 12:30 PM
crey

I put the shoulder belt kit in the front of my '66 coupe (with original seats). It was a bit of a pain. The instructions were limited to a bunch of confusing pictures. I had to drill a hole in the floor for the reel and another hole just behind the door for the pulley (there is a link in the FAQ section that shows the shoulder strap pulley mounted above the window). Although it is more expensive than lap belts, I'm glad I did it.

Since I'll likely have the kids in the back, I'll be putting in the 3 pt belts in the back as well.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:47 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I think the biggest problem in fitting 3 point belts in the front is that you have to cut into your headliner to install the top mount. That's not an issue for me since I have already gutted my entire interior, but if you have a nice headliner in their now, you may screw it up to put in 3 point. If yours is dirty and dry rotting and needing replacement anyway, you really don't have an excuse.

The 3 point kits I've seen are in the $300 range, so not cheap but still better than doctor bills.

Like crey said, look in the FAQ, there are a couple of links regarding 3 point belts.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:52 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

the only problem with 3points and 'normal' seats are that you're missing the headrest then.
If the belts hold your body in place, the crahs might cyuase you to snap your neck.
As far as I know it's: when you have 3points, you need headrests as well....

I'm driving with lapbelts at the moment in case you're wondering but always considered it.
At the moment proper brakes are more important. |
And it's always a questyion on how original you want to keep the car.
I wouldn't be surprised if 95% of us with 64-65 models drive with lapbelts.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:59 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

I will be putting the 3 pt belts in the front and the headrest mods too. No need to die in a crash if these safety additions can save my life. Especially since I will be using the hp I put into the car. Over the past 40 years, safety mods to vehicles have improven megafolds, so why not try to mock those mods as much as possible in the older classics while still trying to keep it classic. 3 pts up front is a no brainer for me. I bought new lap belts for the rear, but am real hesitant installing them. I am seriously considering 3 pts back there too.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:05 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

I would recommend 3 points and headrests or different seats. I have highback seats from a '69 that look good and work well to support the neck. I also have the three point belts that go in the stock bolt locations along with a bolt on the interior quarter panel, and a pulley thing on the floor. Here are some pics:

Old 02-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

You don't need to use the 3-point belts that run 200 to 400 from mustang supplier. Instead hit ebay for 3-point setups like (this one) for under 40.00 bucks each.
Edit.. Link is below..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seat belt options?