Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 05:13 AM
JapanGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust?

ORIGINAL: Starfury

I don't see how you can really be biasedwith that report. They're not making money off of 8" of tubing. If they wanted to be biased, they'd tell you their expensive X-pipe systems give you 20hp over an H-pipe.

Pre-bent systems are a PITA anyway. Flowmaster is primarily a muffler manufacturer. Telling you that it's better to add a small crosstube to your exhaust doesn't really benefit them as a company.

I find it more important that auto manufacturers install them on every car with dual exhaust. Auto manufacturers are not in the business of wasting money. They don't do things like that (usually) without a good reason. If they can squeeze a little more power and efficiency out of a small crosstube, which costs say $10 a car, they're going to do it.
Anything can be biased. Like claims all manufacturers make. Hey, if i can get an extra 30hp from heads,20 from exhaust, 10 from headers, 15 from the carb, 10 from roller rockers, 20 from the cam, I'm smiling
with 95 extra hp, but in reality it would me much less. Exhaust companies make profit form every thing they sell. The exhaust kit is list $600 and something. The mufflers by themselves are less than half that.
As for kits not fitting, and being a PITA, totally agree, but if people accept that and don't complain about it them that is what we should expect. I purchased the system because I though it would fit, as they
claimed. Also I read some good feedback about them. I mean this is not rocket science. It amazes me how badly many parts are designed or assembled.

5 to 15hp increase is not small in my book............

Jav
Old 05-14-2008, 05:21 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

from all this now:
I have what one could call 'true dual' with the flowmaster 40s. They sound _very_ aggressive and I always loved that, they';re just lacking base a tiny bit. So if the h-pipe gives me a bit of a more mellow note as well it helps the engine on the other hand I'm more than happy to install one.
Might bring it to an exhaust shop at some stage to see what they would charge for a cut/weld job. I'll rather weld a tube than importing the parts. Anyone ever done that?
Old 05-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

That's all you have to do, and all I had done. Shop barely charged me for labor, even. All they really had to do was cut a couple holes with the plasma torch and weld in a 4" piece of aluminized tubing.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:41 PM
SalikDDD
3rd Gear Member

heh i made my h pipe, i had straights and saw loss of low end - put on the h - didnt change the sound but i got some low back. made my own - just used a plasma cutter and buzzed 2 holes in each pipe, used a power team jack and spread em apart a bit then fitted a pipe between it and welded it all up. - $6.00
Old 05-14-2008, 07:35 PM
DenDen
1st Gear Member

I just went from a 2 inch dual with flowmasters and a crossover tube to a Magnaflow 2.5 stainless,mandrel bent system with an x pipe.You can see right thru the mufflers.I thought it would be stupid loud but it just sounds great.The exhaust sounds smoother.It only gets real loud when you hit the throttle hard.I much prefer it to what I had.I can feel a slight difference in power.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:21 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aussie66Fastback

connor imho that same system would sound even better with an h.
it sounds better since they've broken in.

im sure it would sound better but i was going for cheap thrills...only took me an hour and $80 total to do the whole thing. already had headers so i drove to summit racing, bought them and drove back (30mins). took off old exhaust and installed hornies (30mins). probably the best hour i spent on my car haha