Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

CSRP disc brake swap complete!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Default CSRP disc brake swap complete!

Picked upthe CSRP (www.discbrakeswap.com) 65-67 OE style manual disc brake swap kit from DazeCars (www.dazecars.com) a couple weeks ago for my 67fb, finally got it started yesterday. Got all the mechanical done, drank a couple beers in the process, took a trip to work (I work at Napa) to pick up some hoses/fittings, installed the OE style combo valve and bent a couple of the short lines, then called it a day.

Today I went back to Napa to pick up the some hardlines for the proper length (their Polyarmor hand-bendable lines are great, btw), then went to work bending lines. Got the lines bent, went back to Napa to get an SAE line instead of the metric line some dunce put on the wrong rack, rebent the correct line, hooked up the hoses, and spent an hour finding and tightening leaky fittings. Bled the brakes, bedded the pads, and went for a short cruise to test everything out.

The car stops straight every time, no squeaks, no rattles. I was happy with the quality of the kit as well. Everything went together well, aside from some fitting mismatches that were easily worked out at Napa.

The only discrepancy I noticed was in the brake line routingto the front brakes. The instructions recommend facing the hardline fitting forward (they face to the rear originally) and moving the L bracket that secures the upper end of the hose about 4" to the rear of the current mounting point. After some inspection I found that this creates some interference between the hoses and the suspension, particularly the sway bar end links. I found that the stock rearward facing mounting point provided the best geometry for the hoses, preventing them from rubbing on any part of the suspension. Not a big deal, and I'm not sure if it's different for 65-66's, but something to look out for if/when you do the swap.

In any case,everything worksgreat It's definitely a big improvement over the drum setup. Stopping hard is much more comfortable now, and the brakes aren't as quick to lock up. Definitely a great kit, especially for the price (thanks again to Daze for the price hookup!). I recommend anyone with 4 wheel drums look into it
Old 06-03-2008, 10:30 PM
64to66
1st Gear Member

Default RE: CSRP disc brake swap complete!

Good to know! this is the kit i want to get when i get the cash....
Old 06-03-2008, 11:58 PM
bradleyb
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: CSRP disc brake swap complete!

I ended up modifying this a bit as well - used a mustang plus connection and it went right around through the hole; then into a t-fitting and on to the master cylinder. I too spent some time getting the leaky fittings sorted (done brakes on many cars and had the most issues with this one, maybe it's the 42 year old technology). concur on the nice result, especially for the money