Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Orlando Area Junkyards? Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Hot70Mach1
2nd Gear Member

Default Orlando Area Junkyards? Help please.

Not expecting many responses but if theres anyone in the orlando area that can direct me to some decent junkyards in the central florida region.

I'm from Clermont, twenty minutes west of orlando.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:29 AM
SalikDDD
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Orlando Area Junkyards? Help please.

LKQ off of Colonial next to the Greenway is about your only good bet, but don't expect anything too old.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:13 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

The LKQ over in Daytona is a pretty good boneyard. Every so often they get a jewel in there.

Johns on Highway 11 up towards Flagler has a lot of older stuff but that guy is proud and knows exactly what he has. He would rather crush it than sell it to you at a bargain price.

In DeLand there are a couple of older boneyards. Airport Towing boneyard on Amelia is worth a look. Chucks on Garfield used to be a dandy but they have switched owners and I haven't been back there since the new ownership took over but the first thing they did was go through there with a crusher so I don't know what is left.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:24 PM
Hot70Mach1
2nd Gear Member

I went to u pay u pull and i had a blast

i just went to go check it out and i found an original 1968 302 air cleaner assembly off a fairlane. looks quite nice. its going on my dads 66 cause i just got a new eldebrock cleaner for the 67.

but i found a real nice 98 ford explorer rear axle 8.8. with a 3.73 and disc brakes and limited slip. as well as a nice T-5 trans in a 4cyl fox mustang.

im going to go pick it up later this week.

now i just have to figure out drive shafts. and the t 5 conversion kit.

the explorer axle is 59 inches wide.
my current axle is just about 58 inches long. talked to some people that made this swap and said that by putting a modern 17 inch wheel with an offset will compensate.

so now ill i have to compensate for is lining up leaf spring perches.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:20 AM
SalikDDD
3rd Gear Member

only thing like i said about the exploder axle is the pinion is offset so it'll kink the driveshaft off. either way - personally i wouldnt go with a T5 from a 4cyl on a V8, the input shaft is smaller and more succeptable to breaking easier but.. there are other people who get away with it. i just wouldn't trust it lol. the driveshaft shouldn't be a prob for you if you do end up doing the swap. just measure it from the tail of the trans to the pinion and use that general length. as i mentioned Advanced Driveline in Orlando off OBT will set you with one in a day or 2 for under $200.00 and are by far reccomended by everyone around here.

heh if you're hopping it up, wanna buy some heads and headers for that thing?
Old 06-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Hot70Mach1
2nd Gear Member

nice plug but im not hopping it up. [:@]

the goal is daily driver, and some better high way manners.

thats why im looking for a 5 speed, and a limited slip. engine wise it runs find for now and im not one to meddle. in a year or two when i finish the exterior and drive line i ll get a carb and intake but its go more than what i need for now. sorry.

plus im flat broke. courting women costs more than you think.[:@]
Old 06-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Hot70Mach1
2nd Gear Member

EDITED answered my own question. thanks salik for questioning my cheapness. trust me if it was up to my handy work the mustang would be covred in wd 40 and duct tape.

"Ford also used the T-5 in 2.3L cars through the years. While the 4 cylinder T-5 may appear to be the same, they are not. Most 4 cylinder T-5s received a 3.97 gear set with a .79 overdrive and small input pilot bearing shaft. Four cylinder T-5's should not be used behind a V-8, even when the pilot bearing id is decreased to match. Simply put, they will not hold up. Torque rating ~240ft/lbs. Besides first gear is much too low to be usable behind a high horse power car. "

as for the drive shaft. i found a guy running a offseft 8.8 in a california special. said it wasnt that bad.

but when i go back ill take more precise measurements. it dosent look offest but if it is ill find something else. i found maybe 20 decent 8.8s with leaf springs and about 30 8.8s with 4 link set ups.

but only five or six where limited slip. and two had discs.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:22 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

What tranny did Ford use in the 91 Tbird Supercoupes because I have one of those up on the hill.

I really need to do something with that car. Wouldn't an FE be cool in that......
Old 06-17-2008, 11:13 PM
Tang 72
2nd Gear Member

Yea i would just go to the u pull u pay place, its the best place in the area... im in ocoee right next door... it is pretty cool, bring some tools and go at it
Old 06-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Hot70Mach1
2nd Gear Member

http://www.moderndriveline.com/Techn...t5_history.htm

the bnest source for t5 information iv found

Quick Reply: Orlando Area Junkyards? Help please.