Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Engine Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 04:10 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default Engine Idea?

I have been thinking about a unique Ford powerplant for my first and next project...

351 Block with a custom 289 stroke crankshaft... So a 289 in a 351 block.

This will make a short stroked, big bore, long rod engine, with the benefit of the moremeaty andstronger 351 block...

I want to use a screw or roots blower, with 10 to 1 to run on E-85....

Any thoughts?

I was thinking I could make a fairly economical but powerful V-8 to motivate my 3,000 lb project..
Old 07-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Idea?

Polls still dont work.

Im all for the "Whatever floats your boat" but im sure someone will step in and say some parts dont play nice.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:24 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Well,,, I think I posted the first poll in the classic section that did not work.... so hopefully maybe this will be the last poll that does not work... hmm...

Anyway, it looks like we will have to tally our own results, so post your answer verbatum, we can tally the results manually, if someone does not like the way things tally up, they can just wack the tally, then they can be the tally wacker.....

Old 07-25-2008, 04:34 PM
67BullittCoupe
3rd Gear Member

what would the benefits be of running the 289 crank in a 351?

Old 07-25-2008, 04:45 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Low CID for economy by virtue of the short stroke,and with a big bore to accommodate large valves without shrouding. The short stroke will allow relatively easy and safe high RPM operation... (did I mention the solid roller cam?)

With 8 or 10 lbs of boost, strong performance with the hope of respectable economy may be possible...
Old 07-25-2008, 05:30 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

wont you have to get a custum crank?
Old 07-25-2008, 10:24 PM
ky
America ftw

289 crank. journals are the same i beleive.

ive never heard of anyone unstroking a motor lol.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:47 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

you crack me up JMD.
i envy you all for being able to get a V8 in a shop/scrapyard/neighbour and what do you do? you throttle the engine :-)
how do you want to achieve the 10:1 compression? as far as I know it can't be done with crank/rod/piston unless the piston goes up into the compression chamber killijg the valves. would there be a head with a small chamber that would do the jobby ?
do you have an old 351 lying around or why not go for a 289? weight ?
in any case if you ever decide to do that it's a brave project. question is .. will it work and wil it be worth it?
the prices in new mexico are only 10% and less lower than normal fuel: http://e85prices.com/ so unless you live in minnesota I don't see much of a point
an old friend in germany has converted a Ford pickup truck to LPG which is half price here.
I have no idea what the powerloss is here, but at least he can drive the big thing again ;-)

I admire when people think about alternatives, but I'd say you need some amount of research doing before planning this.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:31 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I think there might be a couple of hurdles. One is the journal size, which I think is larger in the 351, which would mean either thickwall bearing shells or "spacers". And the other is getting the crank throw + rod length + piston compression height right. If you can dig up back issues of Hot Rod Magazine, they went through much of this in their article "The 351 the Ford Should Have Built" or some such title, maybe ten years or so ago. CanĀ“t remember too many of the details any more, but I think they ended up using non-Ford pistons and rods.

I think the 351 bore is still 4.00", so unless itĀ“ll tolerate a large overbore I donĀ“t think youĀ“ll get much help in the "unshrouding of the valves" department. By large, IĀ“m thinking 0.125" over, like a "good" 283 SBC casting with only a little core shift would permit. There would be some benefit at 0.060", just not as much.

Edit: I like "different". Worth a shot as long as you think everything through (for example, it may want something slightly different in the way of camming). It is a more complex job than any run-of-the-mill standard build . . .

Norm
Old 07-26-2008, 09:02 PM
AV8ForFun
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kalli

how do you want to achieve the 10:1 compression? as far as I know it can't be done with crank/rod/piston unless the piston goes up into the compression chamber killijg the valves. would there be a head with a small chamber that would do the jobby ?
I think he found the flaw in the idea.....pistons won't travel to the top of the bore and compress the F/A mixture.....no compression.

Unless I'm seriously missing something.

Oops, I realized what I was missing...you could use longer connecting rods between crank and pistons.....so, never mind. [8D]

Quick Reply: Engine Idea?