Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

T5 Tricks and Tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 12:44 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Default T5 Tricks and Tips

Now I know this question has been posted a few times before and I haven't been here in forever but the search function believes t5 is too common of a word and not included in search results.

But I was asking about the t5 swap to my original 289 3 speed, looking for experienced people. Beyond the kit and parts that I buy from NPD are there any other unexpected costs or problems I should be looking for? How long of a project is this? Any other tips or expected costs or what to buy or do to help are welcomed. Thanks for the help and sorry for asking a repeated question again.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:47 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Would there be anyway to make this a sticky because I know this is commonly and frequently requested information.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:00 AM
Gun Jam

what parts are you buying from NPD?

its pretty straight forward.. I never encountered anything I didn't foresee. The only curve ball was the drive line was about 1" too long and had to be cut.

Also to get into reverse you have to shift into 5th then reverse and 1st gear synchros are worthless they dont do jack **** for you above 4 mph (at least on my t5)

Thats really all there is to it other than possibly having to match rear end gears. I had 3:00s and without being able to use 1st gear above mph its was a bear having to accelerate in 2nd from 5 mph. and I couldn't use 5th below 75 MPH and have decent rpms. I got a set of 3:80s and im really happy with the setup the .63 OD is awesome for freeway and get lots of pull off the line.

-Gun
Old 08-24-2008, 01:43 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

I agree with you on the gears, that would be the next step. I have a set of 3.80's sitting at my old roommates house. But I need to worry about the trans first. My clutch linkage needs some major adjustment, the trans was rebuilt only about 2k ago but it seems like it was rebuilt really tight and shifting as major pain.

I was going to order the crossmember $129, I haven't tracked down the transmission yet so I was either going to get the bellhousing adapter plate $159 or the spacer $12 and block plate $55 for the t5 bellhousing. The shifter handle $132, boot $15 and ball $34. I was going to ask James if his cable/hydrolic clutch works on 67's or I was going to go with the Modern Driveline kit.

Total: Original Bellhousing $459 T5 Bellhousing $377

I'm not missing anything am I? I don't remember needing a new flywheel or anything with already having the 3 speed manual. I was asking how long it takes because I am only home for a week and wondering if I have time to do it. If you know a better or cheaper way it would be appreciated but my parents only live about 20 minutes from NPD in Canton. After this week I go back to my house in CA and contemplate shipping my car to me and selling my Lightning.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Gun Jam

A week would be enough time.

I would ditch the linkage setup and get a hydraulic setup or a cable clutch. I like the hydraulic setup because there is nothing in the way.

Im not sure about your flywheel.

-Gun
Old 08-24-2008, 04:20 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

I was definitely considering the hydraulic setup because I don't like the idea of running the cable through the headers. I guess for the flywheel and other specifics I hope someone who has done will offer their knowledge. Hopefully I can track down a t5 in time too but where else is better than Detroit to find one.

Oh yeah, where are you in CA? I'm still pretty new to the state and looking for people who enjoy the hobby of cars. I don't have anybody really like that at work. But I am by San Luis Obispo.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Gun Jam

Im in central ca.

When I did my t5 I got a flywheel that was setup with the 28oz balance factor but would accept the modern 10.5" king cobra clutch which normally fits flywheels with the 52oz BF.

-Gun
Old 08-24-2008, 06:02 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Oh yeah I almost forgot about the clutch, I definitely want to get a new one when doing the swap. Another thing to figure out.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:26 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

I'd recomend buying at least one or two parts from Modern Driveline. They're T5 pro's, and if you buy stuff from them you can call 'em up and ask questions! I bought my hydraulic clutch from them and loved it, as well as the help they gave when I asked questions.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:14 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Yeah I have nothing but good things about Modern Driveline, maybe they would be also be able to provide me with insight into the flywheel, balancer, and clutch. But I don't think I will be able to do the swap this week, I haven't been able to track down a local t5 and became busy. Maybe I can do it when I get my car shipped out to Cali or a new job somewhere back on the East Coast.

Quick Reply: T5 Tricks and Tips