Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

dual quad setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:01 PM
mlager8
1st Gear Member

Default dual quad setup

Going to be doing a dual carb setup and was just asking advice from anyone who's been there on things to look out for, what to do and what not to do. Is there a reason why all pre built dual carb and intake set ups use 2 edelbrock avs thunder series carbs instead of 2 1405 500cfm carbs? Will 1405 not fit a dual quad intake? Just asking becasue the 1405's are $100-$150 cheaper than the avs thunder ones. Also if I use an intake other than edelbrock will I have fitment issues with edelbrock carbs?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:11 PM
85lebaront2
1st Gear Member

What size engine? I used dual Holley 4160 465cfm carbs on my .030 over 289 years ago. I had a Ford intake that mounted them backwards like a 427. I would think the 500cfm carbs should work, as far as I know thw AVS and AFB share the lower casting physical size. Just remember that the rear carb in this setup is the primary. Back when Carter made them they had some carbs designed for dual setups where one was complete and the other lacked a choke and fast idle linkage.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:19 PM
mlager8
1st Gear Member

The engine is a 289 also .030 over, I'm aware the secondary carb dosent need a choke, but it seems that the dual carb and intake packages today come with one manual choke and one electric choke, not sure about the fast idle link but I'll have to check in to it, thanks alot lebaron
Old 08-27-2008, 05:53 PM
quesey
1st Gear Member

i'm running the F-28 from edelbrock with 2 500's both with manual choke. have had no trouble with them and love the way it runs and still gets around 15 to 16 mpg down the highway with a 5speed not the cleanest of motor bays but its getting there
Old 08-27-2008, 09:03 PM
htwheelz67
3rd Gear Member

just realize, running dual quads on just about any engine is mostly for show and not go, they make alot of sucking noise and look cool but I can put money that you will never find a dyno test that shows dual quads making more hp anywhere compared to a good single quad setup. The exception would be a pretty radical motor with a tunnel ram.

Too bad they dont make a dual plane tunnel ram, even the new edelbrock rpm airgap dual quad setup doesent make as much power as their rpm air gap single carb.

Sad but true...........
Old 08-28-2008, 12:19 AM
mlager8
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input, is there really no gain from running dual quads? The reason I want to run a setup like this is really because I'm doing a Shelby clone, GT350's came with a hipo 289 and dual quads and I want everything to at least appear close to stock. I'd love a GT500 but a 428cj and police interceptor t6 is just way out of realm in terms of budget.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:42 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Prostock drag cars use tunnel ram "sheet metal" intakes with dual quads. They also run a big scoop on the hood to feed them and need the added air flow due to having over 100%VE and huge displacement. In a street motor with a dual plane intake, I agree with htwheelz that you will have better performance with a single carb. A 289 only needs 550-600cfm of air/fuel. Why would you ever need dual 500s? WAY overkill. Even bigblocks that require 1000cfm are better off with a dominator than dual quads. You really need to be up there in volumetric efficiency and cubic inch displacement to need the air flow dual quads give. In muscle cars, multi carbs are all for show, will probably hurt your performance, and are exponentially harder to tune. In the old days they thought more carbs were better (i.e. the dual quad and the six pack), but since computers and performance testing have evolved, we now know a good single carb is a better way to go. Same goes for intake runners on heads. They used to think bigger way better, but we now know that there is a sweet spot to carb and runner size. Edelbrock does not even give a power range rating for their dual quad intake. If you call them up, I bet they tell you to use an Air Gap single carb setup for performance. If you want it for looks get after it, but be prepared to spend a bunch of time tuning. You can always run an oval air cleaner with a single carb to give the dual carb look...
Old 08-28-2008, 09:53 AM
mlager8
1st Gear Member

Thanks urban, didnt realize a dual quad setup would take away so much from performance, At least I thought little or no gain, but never thought it would take away. Just for the sake of looks would dual holly 350 2 barrels give the same performance as a 600-700 4v with the added look or would that still detract power?
Old 08-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Cruzzar
1st Gear Member

The dual quads look really neat. If you choose to go this way you might want to check out www.pricemotorsport.com for an intake and carb set up. They will sell both Holley or Edlerbrock. I think these manifolds are closer to stock looking than the air-gaps. Just a suggestion.

Oops. I just realized that they only show a 351W manifold and not a 289/302. You might call then just the same.

Last edited by Cruzzar; 08-28-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:56 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I am not sure how two carbs compare to a single carb with respect to air flow. Do dual350s equal one 700cfm? I do not know the answer to that. I would guess yes. As for dual two barrels versus a single four barrel, I would guess you are better off with a single four barrel vacuum secondary due to the secondaries coming in when you need them instead of two two barrels pouring fuel all the time. That dual setup would be like a four barrel with four primaries...a gas hog! I think the issue with dual carbs is the intake setup. The dual plane design for dual carbs is just not as good as a single carb intake. There is a big difference between dual plane intakes and sheet metal tunnel rams! I am suggesting from what I have read that you need a tunnel ram type intake to allow the dual carbs to work correctly. If you do not have that, then you will have better performance with a single carb. If you want to cut a big hole in your hood, mount a bird catcher scoop, and move your power band way up with a radical cam, you could probably take advantage of dual carbs. I preface all of this with this is my opinion based on articles I have read about dual carbs and the trend away from the multi-carb intake in the last 40 years.

Here is a article and test run on a 400cid chevy small block with dual quads vs single quad. Spoiler...the single carb wins.
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...est/index.html

Last edited by urban_cowboy; 08-28-2008 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply: dual quad setup