Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

block prep

Old 09-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

Default block prep

I just took my 289 block in to have it dipped and prepped for a rebuild. Line boring the cam and crank. The question I have is should I have any thing else done to the block since I am planning on a turbo set up.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:57 PM
67coupe
2nd Gear Member

If you are concerned enough for the line boring you might as well have the block decked to make sure it is square. I would make sure they have the pistons when they bore and hone to get the right skirt clearance. Some forged pistons need to be a little looser fit.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

I don't know what the bore diameter is yet. I assume that it has had at least one over bore. The pistons that were in the engine were flat top pistons. I was under the assumption that I would need a different piston to lower my compression for the turbo application. I don't know what pistons that I should go with.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'd consider getting it magnafluxed to check for cracks. If I was going to boost an engine, I'd want to make sure it didn't have any flaws.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

the magnaflux was part of the original prep. They are going to call me after that to let me know if it needs an over bore or a hone and to see what else i may need done to it.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:59 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

You'll definatly need differant pistons. The "perfect" CR for a blown application is 8.5. Since you're boring the block, you'll need differant pistons anyway, so not a big deal.

You might consider cutting for an O-ring for the cyliders. Just a little extra security.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Kramer
2nd Gear Member

where did you take it to? if they have to bore it out usually they will need the new pistons. If you dont have a cam bearing installer I would have them install them for you.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:07 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

I hope you mean aline hone the cam and crank. If they line bore it the crank will move closer to the cam and give you problems with the timing chain. You will need dish pistons to lower the cr. They could mike the cylinders and be able to tell you what size pistons you will need. miking it takes all of 5 min.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

I took it to Toms performance just down the street from me. They are going to install the cam bearings. They said that they would dip it first and then we would go from there.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Kramer
2nd Gear Member

I have an old coworker that's working there now. I havent dealt with, them although some people have said they are pretty good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: block prep