Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Crappy, but possibly good news.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 02:25 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Default Crappy, but possibly good news.

Well, I just got the news that I am up for an IA (indivudial augmentee) which would put me In Iraq sometime at the end of January for 270 days. Im trying to figure out how if I want to do it or not, so basically this is a rant. Oh, and I changed my oil this weekend and the darned o-ring on the filter is leaking again. last time I had to torque the thing down like crazy to get it to stop.. this time it leaked for a little bit and stopped by itself.. Stupid car.

Plus Side.
-money about $1,000 extra per month
-I could have my car done by the time i get back or at least all the parts and it painted so I could put it back together.
-advancement oportunities
-its a job doing detainee ops, so I probably wouldnt get my butt blown off

Down Side.
-my kids are 3 and 5
-its in Iraq
-270 days in country (not including training here, thats pretty close to a year)
-It would suck.

I think its crazy that I am actually thinking about volunteering for it, I just know that I will be up for the next billet that comes up too.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:34 PM
retro77
2nd Gear Member

Depends if you are making the military a career or just a job for right now. The bonuses are great but your a family man, think of them first before you volunteer.

At least it starts after Christmas and you would be back before the next one. Its only 9 months and will go by fast if you keep yourself busy.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:29 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i think the decision should be:
my kids are 3 and 5

but that's just my humble opinion. what does wifey say?
Old 10-06-2008, 03:29 PM
tnyankee

In the end it is your choice... I did 4 years active in the Marines and have been out for about 2 years now and am back in college full time. Wouldn't you know it they just recalled me a few weeks ago to go back for another 12-15 months. I just finally got started working on my '66 Coupe and now I have to leave it... again! The greenie weenie strikes again.

Sgt. Tony DiMaiolo
USMC
'66 Coupe
Old 10-06-2008, 03:34 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
i think the decision should be:
my kids are 3 and 5

but that's just my humble opinion. what does wifey say?
The wife says that I should go.. We could save a bit, and I would be back by next Christmas.. We have been thinking about this alot lately, well mostly about re-enlistment. I will have 10 years in by the time I am supposed to leave my shore duty command. I would be extended here for the time spent on assignment though to make up for it. So that may not be too bad.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:38 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

I wish you well no matter what you end up doing. Thank you for your service.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:42 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

There are a few positives in that post.

1. extra money
2. "In the rear with the gear" as we said when I was in the military.

I will say my twin brother has been over to Afganistan and been deployed several times to support military operations.

It sucks b/c he was away from family during most of the holidays (Christmas, New Years, Halloween, and a few birthdays, including his wifes).

He was also deployed when his Shelby was finished and that drove him almost crazy. He missed his family and friends but it was his duty to serve.

Plus side he made good money and paid off some debts.

Now you said you could volunteer. That is a choice then you and your wife will have to make.

Good luck with your decision and if you go God watch over your even with just detainees.

God Bless.

Last edited by 69FB; 10-06-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:13 PM
SalikDDD
3rd Gear Member

i did 11 months there, to be honest it's not as bad as people think it really is and the media seriously construes so much stuff it's not even funny.

i say go with it, and good luck.

Last edited by SalikDDD; 10-06-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:24 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Best of luck, all of you who serve.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SalikDDD
i did 11 months there, to be honest it's not as bad as people think it really is and the media seriously construes so much stuff it's not even funny.

i say go with it, and good luck.

I agree here. I did six months in 03. We were the invasion force and it wasn't too bad. I dont trust the media. I haven't watched the news since I got back. It is all lies and half truths. I did save a lot of money and it was a good growing experience. Good luck with whatever you decide. Semper Fi SGT 0313.

Quick Reply: Crappy, but possibly good news.