Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

AOD LINKAGE

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:27 PM
65Rocky
1st Gear Member

Default AOD LINKAGE

I PUT A AOD IN MY 65, SHORTEN DRIVE SHAFT TO 50" AND GOT A LINKAGE KIT FROM NPD, WHICH TALKS ABOUT OPENING UP THE TRANS.AND THE LEVER POINTING UP ETC,???
HOW DO I PUT IT IN AND ADJUST IT.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:00 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

I DONT KNOW BUT COULD YOU PLEASE STOP YELLING :P

thanks
Old 12-15-2008, 12:29 AM
eZ
5th Gear Member

I dont know how the kit is from npd. But turning the trans lever down is simple. Have to pull the tranny pan and undo a couple of bolts. slide it out, flip it, rub it down oh no! put it back in and tighten the bolts.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:26 PM
65Rocky
1st Gear Member

Thanks 66, by the way nice photo, spent a lot of good time at the Grand Plaza.
Still have a problem I do not want to open up my AOD, I was hoping to just install the linkage rod and TV cable and go. I can not do the Transmission at my skill level.
The linkage will fit, it is the shifter rod on the AOD, it points up already, and I have a 2ed lever that attaches to the rod/lever that has two holes in it, will that work?.
AS soon as I get a answer I will post my email address so who ever will be the first to see the THREE farms of old Mutands I found, 69's 7's etc even a 64 Comet Conv. just to wet your tast buds. I have Photo's
I travel a lot that is how I found mine
Old 12-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Years ago I swapped a TBI 5.0/AOD into my daughter's '66. As far as the linkage was concerned, I don't remember doing anything but hook up the '66 parts and adjust it so that the gear indications lined up correctly. Adjust some sort of length/position, drive using all the different ranges and see how it lines up in each one, re-adjust. Rinse and repeat until happy with it. Sorry for the lack of detail, it's been a few years . . .

If you have a shift kit of some sort, that's out of my experience.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-15-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:51 PM
65Rocky
1st Gear Member

Can I jut put the rod in to the AOD lever with out replaceing it???
Old 12-15-2008, 03:23 PM
65Coupester
2nd Gear Member

I haven't seen the conversion kit but I would guess the reason for a new lever is to make the new AOD lever match the length of the old transmission lever.
If the lever length is significantly different then the shifter handle won't match the indications. No amount of adjusting the shift rod length will compensate for this type of mismatch.

Having said that, if your rod will fit the hole in the lever, and the lever is pointing up, just try it. Just make sure you adjust the rod length with the shifter and transmission in park and see it if the other indications fall into place.

You can test drive the car with the indicators off.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

That's all I remember having to do, though this was in the spring of 1994 (news about Kurt Cobain's demise was trickling in on one of the days I was doing that job). Too bad I didn't take any pictures or write any notes, but I wasn't foreseeing that I'd ever use that information again. I know I had to pull the pan to swap the filter, determine which electrical connections were which for the reverse lights and park/neutral start, and tweak the TV cable.

You should probably be able to tell which way the tranny arm needs to move to go from 'P' down to '1', and whether the early linkage moves in the right direction to do that. Either it does and you're OK or it doesn't and something has to swap places. I imagine that you could carefully tackweld a tab to the existing one on the shaft into the tranny to reverse its rotation if you didn't want to go digging around inside.

Norm
Old 12-15-2008, 05:32 PM
65Rocky
1st Gear Member

Thanks I will work on it and see what happens.
By the way my email is gregory.meyer@vigocounty.org. if someone will email me and I will send the photo's for you all to post.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:04 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

haha rocky, i didnt take it... someone made that up for me in the chop shop

ps, no hard feeling about the previous post, i just couldnt resist

racin

Quick Reply: AOD LINKAGE