Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Please help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 04:52 PM
bblade

Angry Please help!!!!

I have a 302 w/ a torker 289 manifold and a edelbrock carburator. I'm having trouble getting it to run smooth and steady. It runs with a very spuratic idle for about 5 minutes and then just stalls, like it runs out of gas. So I thought it might be the fuel filter by the carb is getting clogged up. So I bypassed it and still the same thing. So then I thought maybe it was the screen on the sending unit inside the gas tank was getting clogged up, so I took the fuel line off right before the fuel pump and stuck it in a jar of gas. It ran, but the idle was still up and down. I dont think it's a leak between the carb and manifold because when it did run good about 5 months ago I sprayed starting fluid all around it and the idle never changed, but it still stalled after about 5 minutes. Do you think my fuel pump is about to go? I cant figure it out!!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Before we can say anything for sure, we have to establish engine condition. Have you changed plugs/wires/cap/rotor/points recently? What's the timing set at? Did you make any changes before the problem started?

Part of your problem may be the manifold you're using. Original Torkers are great manifolds, but they're designed for high rpm use. They don't give good vacuum signal at low rpm's, which can be an issue for stock or near stock engines.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:09 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

You may also want to check the floats and fuel level in the bowls.

What do your plugs look like? Are you flooding out at idle or leaning out? Is it consistent in the time it takes to die? How is your fuel pressure?
Old 01-15-2009, 08:34 AM
crunchyskippy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by urban_cowboy
You may also want to check the floats and fuel level in the bowls.
Good idea. After the engine stalls (as stated after 5 minutes), check to see if there's any fuel in the bowls. That will eliminate or confirm it is a fuel issue.

If there's fuel, I'd next take a look at the "air" component and be sure you're choke isn't sticking in the on position.

Lastly, if you've eliminated fuel and air as the problem- we're left with the spark issue. And that's what Starfury was asking about. (This part of the equation baffles me quite regularly, so I'll be checking in on your problem solving for education...)

One last question: is the engine stalling (after 5 minutes) of just idleing, or revving/driving?

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:47 AM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Sounds like plugs.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:50 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

+1 to Starfury's response. Then go from there.