Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

ABS and Traction Control for my 68

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 12:50 AM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

Default ABS and Traction Control for my 68

My 68 is using the complete drive train, and front and rear suspension from a Mark VIII and I'm planning on plumbing the brake and fuel lines when I get out of college for spring break in a month or so. I'm trying to decide to use the ABS unit or not. What are your guys thought on the subject. I've got all the wiring and stuff from the Mark so it really wont be any trouble to put it in the only extra work would be mounting the unit somewhere. Any opinions?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:27 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'm going to assume you mean a Mark VII, not a Mark VIII, because the latter uses a 4.6L mod motor, which is not an easy swap at all.

Also, how are you planning to run the front suspension from the Lincoln? Mark VII's run on the fox chassis and use a modified McPherson strut front end.

In any case, my opinion: big fat NO. It'd be a severe PITA, and probably wouldn't work properly anyway unless you used all of the Mark VII brakes, and even then it wouldn't work well because the car isn't going to have the same balance, weight, traction, steering geometry, spring rates, etc. ABS systems are very vehicle-specific. Lots of R&D goes into designing the system to work with one particular vehicle. Change one thing, nothing works right.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:13 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

No he used a mark 8 for parts used the whole front suspension.I'm not a fan of abs its for women and people that can't drive to me.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Well, even if, I still wouldn't recommend it.

ABS is a good thing on a street car in almost all circumstances. It pumps the pedal much faster than you could ever hope to, allowing you to brake quickly while still being able to steer the car. It doesn't decrease stopping distance, but being able to steer in a panick stop is a big deal.

But, like I said, it's not something you want to mess with trying to retrofit into a different vehicle. Way too much of a PITA, with uncertain results and not much benefit.

Stability management is a different thing altogether, and something that might actually be built into the Mk VIII. I hate stability management. That is for people who can't drive. It tends to force understeer which may help people who don't know how to handle a vehicle, but having the vehicle do the complete opposite of what you want/expect it to do is rather disconcerting.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:39 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

Like I said everything is already in place its just a matter of installing the ABS pump. And yes I meant Mark VIII and yes I used the front and rear suspension. Like I said in my first post its just a matter of mounting the ABS unit and running the brake lines. The Mark VIII has traction control but it uses the ABS to control it so its either both or neither. The traction control can be turned off with the push of a button.

Last edited by stangtjk; 02-10-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:01 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

I figured since everything the same other than weight and wheel base everything would work as it should if it was hooked up. This is not going to be a drag car or track car just a fun daily driver. I think I'll hook it up and see what happens. If it doesn't work out its just a matter of unplugging it and running some new brake lines.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Fair enough
Old 02-10-2009, 03:54 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Hells yes. You're already there.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

I certainly say go for it. You've got the rest of the car in there, why stop now?
Old 02-11-2009, 12:50 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by cprstreetmachines
Hells yes. You're already there.

+1 that thing is can handle like its on rails with that IRS, and the block is alum too

Quick Reply: ABS and Traction Control for my 68