Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Honestly how bad?

Old 02-12-2009, 01:14 PM
65MustangQT

Default Honestly how bad?

So after taking seats and carpet out in prep for the rust encapsulator I am going to apply I ran into some problems
Everything was looking phenomenal until the carpet came off the driver and passenger floor boards So my question is with the problems that I came upon really bad (meaning the whole floor pan should be replaced) or could I just cut out the bad spots and weld new piecesin place?

Problem #1

Problem #2

Other pics of floor pans(still in the cleaning process..sorry)

Last edited by 65MustangQT; 02-12-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:39 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

That's not that bad I'd probably just patch it. When I took the carpet out of my car the first time I stomped on the floor behind the drivers seat and my foot went right through to the pavement.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:16 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Mine were about that bad and I opted to put in full length floor pans on both sides. I had also purchased toe boards for both sides...we ended up putting in one toe board on the driver's side and the other side was fine.

Sure helps me sleep better knowing I have addressed the issue one time and fixed it for good.

Problem with patches is you never know if you got it all....when rust is bad enough to completely eat through and eat a two inch hole you can see, you had better plan on patching / replacing a much larger spot then two inches because odds are the metal around it isn't much better.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

I replaced mine and they weren't as bad as yours. I just had a bunch of pin holes that irritated me to no end. You could go with some half panels. It doesn't look like you have torque boxes either. You might want to consider putting a pair of them on while you are at it.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:34 PM
65MustangQT

I was just thinking about cutting the front part where there is alot of rust out and putting in like half pans or something because the rest is fine and there are no other problems.. and I know this is probably a stupid question but what is the importance of torque boxes? it looks like the owner before me had to cut out some of that area to fit the shifter so Im not really sure of the best/least expensive route to take.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:09 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

I patched mine. The red line shows the area I cut out. It was basically that the weld was rusted through but the rest was fine. My rust did not extend as far out as yours though. This patch has been applied with panel bond, not welding, and the area outside the red is overlapped.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:09 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Based on the pics alone, you can probably get away with replacing only the front sections on both sides, the rear sections look fine, not even any pinholes. I had all of mine replaced but the rears were bad and the fronts weren't the best either, mainly the passenger side.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:15 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Looks like based on the pictures that you could likely get away with the short pans for the front only.

I probably could have gotten away with that myself, but decided to just go ahead and do the full length ones. No particular reason other than I figured if I was going to screw with it might as well get it done the first time.

Mine on the drivers side had a whole pretty much exactly where yours is at the weld to the toe board. My passenger side seemed better at the weld with the toe board but for whatever reason I had a hole about six inches long and about 1/4 - 1/2 inch wide right where the front of the seat riser meets the floor pan.

I also had a couple of small patches in the back where I cut out maybe a 2" X 3" section and welded in a patch. For the most part my back seat was fine except for a couple of small spots.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:37 AM
65MustangQT

Thumbs up

thanks guys for all the help I just found this place on the internet that showcases a small mustang restoration shop in my city so Im going to go check it out(hopefully its not out of business) and see what I can dig up so hopefully I wont have to worry about the shipping on the floor pans that im gettin
Thank you guys this forum is awesome and its all thanks to the people willing to help others
Old 02-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Kdclem

Default My floor board looked like yours

http://s398.photobucket.com/albums/p.../Rust%20Stang/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Honestly how bad?