Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Modernizing Mustand

Old 02-13-2009, 08:46 PM
importfan878

Default Modernizing Mustand

My father has a mustang and im he said he would give it to me instead of buying me a car. Its a 66 converitble in great conditon drivable except the flat tire. If i take this i would like to modernize it however. Whats would be an estimate for power steering, new interior(nothing special), modern radio and anything else along those lines. I just want it more modern and daily drivable.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'd stay away from power steering if it doesn't have it right now. It's a PITA to install, and it eliminates any semblence of road feel. My daily driver has manual steering and I like it. The only exception would be if you wanted to switch to a rack & pinion setup, which would give it a much more modern feel, but would cost more.

$ estimate depends on your budget and how far you want to take it. There are cheap upgrades you can make, and there are some wild modifications you can do that will cost a lot more. Give us a budget and we'll see what you can afford.

Some important things to consider: front disc brakes, all new suspension/steering components (assuming they're all worn out), 3pt seat belts, tires with decent traction...
Old 02-13-2009, 09:50 PM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

A retro look radio that fits into the dash (with out any cutting) runs $150 for Am/FM cassette 100w to $400+ with the C/D player/ I Pod jack. Speaker update is a must front and rear minimum $100 up to $$$$$$$.

Three point seat belts run about $125 and are very easy to install.

Get online now and order a catalog from CJ Pony Parts, Virginia Classic Mustang and NPD. Browse through them and you can get an idea on parts and prices. If there is Mustang Supplier within driving distance contact them also. Shipping can be a bitch. CJ's offers free shipping a lot and 10% off all order placed on Fridays through March.

Do you have the knowledge, skill and patience to keep a 43 year old car running? My 66 has 75,000 original miles and I would never attempt to use it as a daily driver. On the other hand there are a lot of people on this forum who have these as D/D. But its certainly not for everyone.

If I where you my first purchase would be a paperback version of the Shop Manual for about $35. Stay aware from the C/D version, the book is a few dollars more but much easier to use.

Last edited by ThanksDad; 02-13-2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I forgot to mention, don't you dare cut the dash for a modern stereo. Mount it in the glovebox, under the dash, anywhere that doesn't require you to actually hack up the dash.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:05 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by importfan878
My father has a mustang and im he said he would give it to me instead of buying me a car. Its a 66 converitble in great conditon drivable except the flat tire. If i take this i would like to modernize it however. Whats would be an estimate for power steering, new interior(nothing special), modern radio and anything else along those lines. I just want it more modern and daily drivable.
Depending on how original it is I wouldn't change much. Just a radio in the glove box and seat belts if it doesn't have any in the front. You won't need power steering, manual steering acts like power once you are moving, becomes easy to turn.