Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Advice: restore or let rust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 02:58 AM
colin20

Default Advice: restore or let rust?

So... I have a dillema. I imagine one that haunts every classic car enthusiast... "limited time and money" I am a 20 year old college student and I currently drive a 1998 camaro z28 with low miles but salvage title. Waiting for me at home is my high school car... a 70 mustang coupe. She has been covered for the last two years after the engine went out. Previously the transmission, suspension, exhaust, interior and paint were all restored. I have great love for this car and can't bear to sell it for a few thousand dollars without it even running. I would gladly get rid of the camaro for my mustang back. The problem is then do i sell the more reliable camaro which has been excellent for the long 8 hour drive home from college and use the money to restore my mustang back to daily driver status. I figure I could get maybe $7,500 for the Z28 and use that money to finish up the mustang. What are your thoughts for a 70 coupe as a daily driver and how much do you expect it to cost to fix it up. I don't have much other money besides what I would get from the selling the camaro. Keep in mind I have limited time as the car must be complete by september. What upgrades/modifications are recommended for making long trips 400-500 miles without overheating. I have been reading about upgrades such as, AOD transmission, disc brakes, aluminum driveshafts and different gear ratios. The more i read however the more money seems to be needed. The car currently has a 351w and fmx transmission, but the engine is probably not a candidate for a rebuild and i may need to buy either a crate engine or get a core somewhere else. Please let me know if this is a worthwhile project or if I am just wasting my time and money.

Thanks,
Colin
Old 06-20-2005, 10:16 AM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Advice: restore or let rust?

Can't you just drvie the camaro until you are finished with college, then after you get a job start throwing money at the mustang?

Don't get rid of the Mustang you will always regret it, trust me. As far as a daily drive goes, 351W are fairly common egines, you should be able to get one for a few hundred, then put a 2 barrel set up on it. Also, the FMX is a decent trans, but you need a low rear gear for that long haul. If you don't have it, a 2.77 or lower will keep your RPMS low, and with the 2 barrel set up you will get decent gas mileage. She definitely wouldn't be a street racer though.