Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1971 Mustang

Old 04-25-2009, 03:10 AM
Nisten

Cool 1971 Mustang

Hey there guys, I'm having an early-life crisis and want to sell my '04 Volvo for this '71 Mustang.

Here is the description from the seller:
1971 FORD MUSTANG GRANDE, This is a 1971 351 Cleveland 4 Barrel Mustang Grande. Within the past two years is has had new paint, new carpet front to back, new exhaust and intake manifolds, new headliner, dash, and a BIG stereo system.
It's going for $6,600. Is this reasonable? Too low? I want to use the car as a daily driver but I only know elementary engine maintenance.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-25-2009, 05:33 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

To me the max i would pay would be 4 grand maybe 5 for that car.If you really want that car pay a mechanic to give it a good looking over.Funny thing is it has a mach1 grill in it.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:56 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Also looks like a 2V Cleveland with an Edelbrock intake and 4 barrel carb, not a 4V Cleveland. If its rust free and drives ok, $5k would be a decent price for it.

Why did they paint the grille yellow? ick. I will remember to leave it black and not go body color on that piece. looks hideous.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Nisten

Here are more pictures:

So is the general consensus is that it needs work? For a price so low, is there something to hide? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

I don't see any mention of work or condition of the underside of the car, all that was mentioned was cosmetic. It could be the frame and body is all in perfect rust free condition, in which case that car is fully worth the money, but it could be it's in horrible condition and about the fall apart, so the cosmetic stuff was done to get the car sold as quickly as possible.

You need to see it in person and look at the underside, take a fridge magnet with you and check the fenders around the wheel wells and the bottom edge of the body to be sure it sticks, otherwise it's a fair bet that it was patched pretty heavily with bondo or something similar.

And check out that yellow wire sticking out down by the brake pedal.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:05 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

If it's in good shape then I'd say that's a fair price. And when i say "good" I mean you could drive from point A to point B without having to worry about anything nmechanical or structural. It seems to be riding a little low in the front, ask them if they did anything to the suspension when they did the work to it. Ask if they have any reciepts for maintenance (spelling), if not then oh well. And do the magnet thing like Nabster said. Check for rust in all the usual spots on these cars; wheel wells, rear quarters, front fenders (especially under the lip from the fender to the fender skirts), under the battery, etc. You know what I'm talkin about.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:15 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The interior looks ok but no pictures of the under side of the car.If you get it black out the grill on it and change the rims.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:25 AM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

I don't think it is a great deal. It is just a grande - no offense - but their value has not climbed much. The Fastbacks and verts value has climbed a lot.

This is one of those things where if it is your dream car what is it worth to you - I doubt you would be able to get 6k out of it, anytime soon - like 5-10 years.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:58 AM
1971mach1
2nd Gear Member

Above advice is good.
Since you will drive it daily, beware that your gas mileage with the 351 will be
horrible compared to the Volvo, probably 10mpg city and 15 on hiway.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:27 PM
71stang99
1st Gear Member

On a side note, how hard is that to smog in california? three years ago I paid 6.6k for my mach I and I had to have it shipped from WI without ever seeing it, I dont think I would do that again and I dont think I was ripped off BTW. Take the advice above about checking out the body and COWL for rust. How is the headliner and weather stripping?

I would not use this for a daily driver until you have checked out the car completely as I can say from experience I have been stranded more then once while driving an old car and its not cool when you have to get to work. This has not been my daily driver but I have had numerous Mustangs and have been stranded before.

Last edited by 71stang99; 04-27-2009 at 09:35 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1971 Mustang