Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Distributors

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:46 PM
pimp2303
2nd Gear Member

Default Distributors

i am planning on switching over my mustang (351w) to electronic igntion. i have been loooking at some on ebay but not sure about them and what all i need to swap the electronic ignition on a mustang.

1. SBF FORD HEI Distributor 351 351W Windsor Mustang
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

with this distributor would i need to buy a coil with it or is it built into this one. this distributor also looks like it belongs to a chevy. (my buddy put one that look like this in his 79 camaro w/ 400 sbc). if i get this distributor what else would i need to get.

2. Mallory E Fire Distributor # 1255404

i do not know anything about this distrubutor but what else would i need to buy if i get this distrubutor.

3. Mallory # 8768701, MBI Vacuum Advance Comp 9000 Distributor

will this one even work with my 351w. if so what else would i need to get for it.

also which one do you think is the best distributor. Thanks
Old 04-25-2009, 10:02 PM
htwheelz67
3rd Gear Member

I guess you are wanting a ready to run dist with the ignition built in, The mallory is pobably the best one as it has pogrammable ign curves and is laptop programmable. The HEI is a chinese procomp they work ok but they also make a ready to run billet which uses a seperate coil and much smaller. The msd and mallory will be 300-400 bucks I'm sure. You can also go to your local auto parts and get a rebuilt duraspark for around 60 bucks or so (you will also need cap adapter,cap and the right wires) you can use it with a stock blue strain module, a gm hei module, a chrysler module or just about any aftermarket ignition like msd 6al,accel 300+,mallory hi fire,summit racing (same as mallory) or any other ignition that has a trigger. Depending on the ign you use you want to gap plugs between .45 and .65
Old 04-25-2009, 11:50 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Any one of those will work with your 351, the bottom two will require a coil in addition to the distributor.

I like the simplicity of the HEI, one wire does it all, but I prefer the American made ones over the Chinese repops. We used a Mallory HEI on my son's 351, and it works great. It is available from summitt for about $150.00. Down side of these is that the cap is big, so they don't look as cool as others, but I like then anyway, breakdown parts are available, IN STOCK, and CHEAP in any parts store in America.

You need nothing else for either of the other two, and I would say if they go cheap enough I would buy them, no reserve, bid on both of em...

If you are running a ROLLER CAM you will need to buy a steel or mellonized gear for any of the three. The Iron gear will not last on a roller cam. Gears are not too bad though.

Last edited by JMD; 04-25-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Joe67
Banned

How come now everyone chimes in about procomp beiong crap, i posted specifiaclly about it and everyone assured it was decent so i bought one yesterday, only to find out they are crap... O well, life goes on
Old 04-26-2009, 10:02 AM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

Whenever you are talking about Chinese import products you will get responses saying that whatever it is is crap. A lot of crap does come from China, but there are many other things that are of very good quality. Having said that, I bought a new Procomp HEI distributor off e-bay for $40. I won't be able to run it for several more months, but the distributor looks to be of decent quality. The shaft turns very nice in the bearings and I pulled the cap and it looks good to me inside and out, but then again I haven't run it yet.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:39 AM
htwheelz67
3rd Gear Member

I run a procomp billet, not the best but works fine. You will find the mallory hei is made in china too, many msd componenents are as well.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:00 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

There's nothing wrong with the ProComps, they train those 11 year old's pretty darned good these days
Old 04-26-2009, 03:21 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by htwheelz67
You will find the mallory hei is made in china too, many msd componenents are as well.
I had assumed it was USA made I guess I did not look as closely as I should have.

But other than my DESIRE to buy USA made stuff, when I was looking at the pictures of MANY of the ProComp distributors on eBay, they appear to have to have what looks like circuit boards under the cap. Which makes me think that if something goes bad in this board it MIGHT just be tough **** when it comes to REPAIR.

I can say with certainty that the Mallory HEI units accept OEM parts, cheap and east to repair.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:54 PM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
I had assumed it was USA made I guess I did not look as closely as I should have.

But other than my DESIRE to buy USA made stuff, when I was looking at the pictures of MANY of the ProComp distributors on eBay, they appear to have to have what looks like circuit boards under the cap. Which makes me think that if something goes bad in this board it MIGHT just be tough **** when it comes to REPAIR.

I can say with certainty that the Mallory HEI units accept OEM parts, cheap and east to repair.
Can't speak for any but the one I have, but my Procomp does not have any exposed circuit boards under the cap and has what appear to be stock fitting components (GM of course) including the module. On top of that procomp advertises the that:

"All electrical parts are compatible with all other Procomp and stock HEI distributors."
Old 05-11-2009, 03:24 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 109jb
Can't speak for any but the one I have, but my Procomp does not have any exposed circuit boards under the cap and has what appear to be stock fitting components (GM of course) including the module. On top of that procomp advertises the that:

"All electrical parts are compatible with all other Procomp and stock HEI distributors."

In the past I have CONSIDERED buying one of these distributors, but as I said, I looked at the pictures and just could not make myself take the chance..

Originally Posted by htwheelz67
I run a procomp billet, not the best but works fine. You will find the mallory hei is made in china too, many msd componenents are as well.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but for some time I thought I had screwed up, I checked the Mallory HEI carton that my sons distributor for his 302 came out of...

It was marked MADE IN THE USA...

I will ASSUME the previous 2 Mallory HEIs I purchased over the past couple of years were made in the USA also.

I USUALLY try real hard to buy American when I have a reasonable American choice.

Quick Reply: Distributors