Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Which carb should I get????????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 11:28 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Default Which carb should I get????????????

Im stuck on which carb to get.. I care a little about the price, but not much.. Either an Edelbrock Performer 600cfm or a Holley Street Avenger 670cfm.. I dont know what it takes to install the edelbrock being that it doesnt have the kickdown already like holley does. What all do I need to get either or both of these matched up on my car.. 351w with probably a performer intake.. It already has a performer plus cam and hooker headers. I just want to open up the top end, and my 2bbl finaly **** the bed..

Any suggestions will be appreciated..
Old 04-29-2009, 11:40 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I like the Edelbrocks,,, but that is just me...

Easy, trouble free, and street friendly.

Set it and forget it.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:41 PM
REAVER117
2nd Gear Member

Personal preference. I've heard Edelbrocks are ideal for daily drivers because once they're tuned they stay tuned, while Holleys are ideal for weekend warriors/track cars because they can be tuned for max HP. I am running an Edelbrock 1406, probably the same one you are looking at, I had to buy Edelbrock part# 1483 and 1491 to hook the carb to C4. I'm not trying to sway you either way, but since I've gotten the Edelbrock I've really become attached to it, there are no gaskets below the fuel level so no leaks, and this also means you can pull the top of the carb off (and even replace the main gasket) while it is still on the engine...plus no power valves to blow out.

Good luck.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:15 AM
jonward786
3rd Gear Member

i have no idea what ppl mean when they say holley's dont stay tuned. several ppl i have talked to who have run holleys for years said they tuned once and havent touched it for 5+ years with zero problems.

the only difference i see between holleys and edelbrocks, are that edel's can be tuned VERY easily while holleys are a little more difficult. ive also heard if you go with an edelbrock ur leaving HP on the table since holleys are more tunable...hence the racing crowd preferring them.

someone please enlighten me as to how a carb would magically start acting up after you have it dialed in...as some ppl claim holleys do
Old 04-30-2009, 01:30 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

If everything is set right they don't. Carbs respond to pressure changes, and deliver preset fuel ratios at certain pressure differentials based on how it's initially tuned. The only thing that changes them is if they get crap in them restricting air or fuel flow into the metering circuit. The problem with Holleys is that most people don't know jack about tuning a carburetor, despite the fact they think they do, and you have to know what you're doing when it comes to tuning a Holley(or any carb with Holley architecture).

Edelbrocks won't make near the power that a good performance carburetor will, but they're reliable, easy to tune and have very few things you can change, so the average Joe can't mess them up too badly. The total opposite end of the spectrum is a carb like my Quick Fuel where EVERYTHING can be changed, right down to the emulsion restrictions in the primary air bleed well, but you MUST know what you're doing with it.

Let's also dispel a few myths about Holleys. Firstly, the last time anyone blew a power valve was probably in the 70's or 80's. All the Holleys and Holley types now how power valve vacuum channel check valving, to prevent intake backfires from tearing the PV diaphragm, so power valves don't blow out. Second, if they're tightened correctly, they don't leak, period. And third, once they're set right, they stay that way until they get junk in them.

Honestly, if you just want something for a street car and you wanna slap it on and run fine with minimal tuning, get an Edelbrock. If you want to tune for maximum power they get a Holley type, but get a good one like a Quick Fuel, or a Pro Form or at least a Holley 4150HP, something with adjustable air bleeds at least. If you don't know how air bleeds affect the metering circuits in a carburetor, then get an Edelbrock. Try and stay away from carbs with straight leg boosters, you want either down leg at least or annular.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:32 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Holleys are finicky. They have gaskets below the fuel line, which makes for leaks, both external and internal. Edelbrocks (and Autolites) have no such problem.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:33 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i'd be looking at the edelbrock 650 or the holley 670, but you all know how i feel about edelbrocks (yuk)
Old 04-30-2009, 07:46 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
The problem with Holleys is that most people don't know jack about tuning a carburetor, despite the fact they think they do.
I believe that I know a lot about carbs when I compare with everyone else I know locally. I probably know a lot more about them than any garage in this country because noone really cares about carbs anymore. But still after so many years playing around with them and tuning I still cannot get it 100%
I believe that for properly tuning a carb you need to check on A/F ratios and I don't have that 600$ for a device with dual bungs.

Setting the floats is very easy on the Holleys, Idle mixtures and curb idle is the exact same on both. Fast idle is a nightmare in the holley street avengers, you can't possibly get at that screw with carb bolted to intake (at least not without some modifiction of your tools).
Changing the spring for secondary has become very easy on the holleys and the AVS carbs from EDL are totally different to set, but the same easy. never saw a performer carb, so don't know how that goes.

What makes the Edelbrock so easy to tune is that they have a reference in the owners manual on how exactly you can richen/lean WOT and cruise.

So with SOP dyno and plug reading you might be well.

I personally went with the 650cfm Edelbrock 1806 instead of the holley 570cmf street avenger that i had. I'll keep trying and if I can't get it right I'll swap and see from there :-]
Old 04-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Randys66gt
2nd Gear Member

Ha Ha Ha, Kalli said bungs....... Kalli is sooooo right. Also think about if you have to change jets. Holleys leak the gas everywhere.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:00 AM
109jb
3rd Gear Member

Yeah. Didn't you know that you put your oxygen sensor in your cars "bung hole"

Quick Reply: Which carb should I get????????????