Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Soda blasting

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:40 PM
blinn

Question Soda blasting

What should I expect to pay to have a 65 fastback soda blasted? I found a place about 30 miles away that will do it. What experiences have you had with this process?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 05-05-2009, 09:46 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Cost will vary depending on how much you do (i.e. exterior, interior, undercarriage, etc.)

FWIW, I had my car blasted exterior only in SoCal for somewhere in the $500 range (my memory is fuzzy). They didn't use soda, but some other abrasive material. I've heard pros and cons to the soda, a lot depending on what and how much they are removing (rust, body filler?). What are you being quoted? I would think you could get some pretty good pricing in this economy.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:59 PM
blinn

I don't have a price yet, I wanted to know others pricing before I negotiate with the guy. I want inside, outside and underneath all blasted. It will be entirely disassembled including glass.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:08 PM
msaner
1st Gear Member

I paid $700.00 to have exactly what you want done.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:10 PM
WildMustang351
3rd Gear Member

Soda blasting is a very good way to blast.$500.00-1,000.00
I have heard of Walnut shell blasting,That is, as far as I know,cheaper and should get the same results without stretching the metal.$400.00 -800.00 depending on the size of the job...
Old 05-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Cant say as its going to depend on where you live. Up here in eastern Canada sand or soda blasting the chassis and exterior would cost around 2000.00. I called around last year regarding this, heard that from a few places and said screw it! Bought a sand attachment for our pressure washer (gas not electric) for 80.00, 30 100lbs bags of sand @ 8.49 per bag and did it myself. 4 or 5 hours and I was done. So for about 300.00 I did it myself.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:03 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Don't use sand. Sand has not been used for sand blasting in a long time, since they found out about silicosis. There are much better abrasives out there for blasting. You can't enjoy your Mustang if you are in the hospital with silicosis.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:07 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gothand
Cost will vary depending on how much you do (i.e. exterior, interior, undercarriage, etc.)

FWIW, I had my car blasted exterior only in SoCal for somewhere in the $500 range (my memory is fuzzy). They didn't use soda, but some other abrasive material. I've heard pros and cons to the soda, a lot depending on what and how much they are removing (rust, body filler?). What are you being quoted? I would think you could get some pretty good pricing in this economy.
I think mine was 550 or so, but they did the inside of my car as well. They used some green sand, i forget the name too. I remember talking to the owner though and he said soda blasting is a waste of time and money, it takes a LOT of soda to do a full car to the quality of other products do. Soda blasting is a LOT gentler, which you think could be good, but he said it's not good for removing rust and will only take paint off like one layer at a time so it takes forever. Therefore, soda is more expensive. Professional places will have a nice synthetic silica type sand, gothands and mine were like green oxide something or other.

hope this helps
Old 05-06-2009, 02:33 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

I will say this about media blasting, you are taking a chance on badly warping panels if the operator doesn't know what he is doing. I would never media blast a whole car without chemically striping it first. Media blasting multiple layers of paint will really heat up the panels. If you chemically strip it first the blaster guy can consentrate on the bad areas and undercarage and just take one quick swipe over the big panels and it is done. A lot less risk of warping that way.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:39 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

warping only comes from hitting the metal at direct angles for a longer period of time. If you do it at a slanted angle, sort of "along" the car, then there shouldn't be a problem. So says the shop owner of where i had mine done

Quick Reply: Soda blasting