Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

electric fuel pump ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 05:49 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default electric fuel pump ...

hi all,

as a lot of you know I bought an electric fuel pump. Rotary vane style.
It's the summit one. The NOISE (yah, that's why I'm shouting, so you can hear me) that thing generates is unreal. It drives me insane.
So good money well wasted I'm now ordering the Holley 12-125 (gerotor) and see how far I can throw the old one

Kalli
Old 05-12-2009, 06:36 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Kalli, the better you isolate the pump from the frame, the quieter it operates. Most of the noise comes from the vibration of the pump resonating through the frame. Some pumps come with a thin rubber isolator pad that is of little help. Others come with isolation mounts that are much better. A piece of 6mm to 8mm rubber (cut section of old radiator hose) works really well. Always use bolts with lock nuts (nylocks) to mount the pump as you can adjust the noise level and pump vibration by tightening and loosening the bolts without the mounts vibrating loose. This allows you to in effect tune the pump noise level. You will never totally eliminate the noise, but you can reduce it significantly. Good luck my friend!
Old 05-12-2009, 06:40 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

hmmmm..... nylocks is a great idea. I used the flimsy rubber that was with it, but you're right. I could upgrade :-]
I have a rubber carpet (for cars) lying around that I could cut up. I might try that. I'd guess it's nearly half inch. And thanks a mil for the idea: Nylocks.
That sounds like a good plan. Off shopping for Nylocks now!

kalli
Old 05-12-2009, 08:25 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

bought metric bolts with Nylocks and a rubber mat with ripples
something like that

all for 3$

I'm quite sure it will do SOME improvement. I'm planning on putting in rubber between my bracket and pump as well between the nuts and bracket.
If I'm still unhappy it's rubber between bracket and chassis as well. That'll have to do

Kalli
Old 05-12-2009, 10:42 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Kalli, I hope you will be surprised at the improvement. The fuel pump is using the chassis like a giant woofer and the noise resonates. When you isolate it properly, you eliminate the speaker and the sound will go down.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:59 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

The softer the rubber the more dampening it will do. Hard rubber will not do much good. Double up and make it a nice thick isolator. Someone should make a mount with a rubber base and springs to dampen the vibration just as air compressors and air handlers have. On a small scale of course.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:15 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

My son tried a Summit pump once. It LOOKED just like a good Holley pump, but it made a sh!tload of noise and did not last long at all.

I usually find that the Summitt brand is pretty good, but not with the Holley style pumps.

We replaced it with an identical looking Holley, it was a lot more quiet.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Gun Jam

why are you running an electric pump anyhow?? what will it improve that a mechanical one currently fails to achieve?

-Gun
Old 05-12-2009, 03:26 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i doubled up the rubber. the rubber is ribbed so should be even better. I had 2 between pump and bracket and another between the bracket and the nylocks.
no difference whatsoever. I then put another rubber between the bracket and the chassis. again no difference. I actually expected the nopise to go down as it would resonate through the whole car.

I'm about to go outside and cut that thing in half just to see it bleed.

JMD: sh1tloads of noise is not even the word for it. that thing is a screamer that manages to put my flowmaster 40s in a pocket. i have to rev above 3 grand to not hear that bl00dy thing anymore.

my opinion this is not normal. I'll order a different one now and be done with it. i just hope it survives a 200mile trip on weekend

Gun: i got a new engine in where the fuel pump port was blocked. So I asked the seller and he tells me he has no cam for pump in there. So that's why I had to go electrical
Old 05-12-2009, 03:53 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli

JMD: sh1tloads of noise is not even the word for it. that thing is a screamer that manages to put my flowmaster 40s in a pocket. i have to rev above 3 grand to not hear that bl00dy thing anymore.

my opinion this is not normal. I'll order a different one now and be done with it. i just hope it survives a 200mile trip on weekend
Yea, Mitchell's pump lasted a few thousand miles you should make your trip ok... IMO the Summitt Pump made about 3 times more noise than the Holley, I agree, something is NOT right with these. We mounted the pumps exactly the same, made the unbearable bearable.

Originally Posted by kalli

Gun: i got a new engine in where the fuel pump port was blocked. So I asked the seller and he tells me he has no cam for pump in there. So that's why I had to go electrical
Typical for performance SBF engines. When I put Jim's together I did not have the right excentric to work with the performance timing set so that excentric is "missing" as well.

Bummed me out, but I was in a hurry...

Quick Reply: electric fuel pump ...