Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Thoughts on coolant additives?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:06 PM
agfulan

Angry Thoughts on coolant additives?

I recently add a bottle of RedLine's Water Wetter to my radiator a few months ago in preperation for the added summer heat. Really, the claims of protectants and running a few degrees cooler seemed to good to be true.

My 347 seems to run at about 180 - 190F while driving, and sometimes creeps up to 200 when idling for a while. These are by no means bad temps, I just figured a bottle of the stuff couldn't hurt any.

Anyways, today I went to check my coolant level and my heart about sunk in my chest. There floating in my coolant was a nice level of oil floating on top of the coolant. Engine oil was the thought that first thing that came to mind.

I just knew that I had blown a head gasket, but the engine only having 2200 miles on it kind of made me question. Recently I had been driving the car semi hard, hitting the 7000 rpm rev limiter a few times, and I thought that was when I blew a head gasket.

After a little research, I found that high rpm water pump rotation, and any form of cavitation within the cooling system speed up in seperating the oil lubricant placed within the RedLine Water Wetter. I didn't know they used oil in it to begin with.

After a little research, this stuff also tends to turn a little gummy over time, and can stick to the water jackets like a snotty residue.

Needless to say, I will be draining my radiatior this weekend, and run just coolant and water.

Is there a better product that any of you use here, such as Royal Purple's "Purple Ice", or any other brands additive?

Last edited by agfulan; 07-24-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

I can't make any recommendations as far as better cooling goes, but 180-190 is right on the lower end of optimal temperature for these old cars. Unless your engine is fully modern, you shouldn't worry about it running at those temps.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:45 AM
jcthorne
1st Gear Member

You need to understand what Red Line Water Wetter is and is not. It is not an oil, nor does it contain oil other than some of the chemicals used are sourced from petrochem refining. It IS a surfactant. It breaks the surface tension of water molecules allowing better heat transfer between the water and metal objects. Waterwetter also contains a very effective corrosion inhibitor.

Water wetter is best used one bottle to two gallons of distilled water. No ethylene glycol coolant. EG actually reduces the abiltiy of the coolant to carry away heat. Yes it raises the boiling point a couple degress, but most of your boiling point increase is from the increased pressure provided by your properly functioning radiator cap.

If you have oil floating in your radiator, it is NOT from the water wetter. You are on your way to a new head gasket. Very sorry for the bad news.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I agree with the above.

If you really want to try something cool, check out Evans Cooling products.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:00 PM
agfulan

I dont' think I have a blown head gasket, after looking very close at everything, there is no coolant in the oil, no coolant seaping through near the heads, and the car is running at it's normal temp. I did however give RedLine Oil Co. a call and this is what one of the tech guys told me word for word...

"RedLine Water Wetter does have additives that are intended for use in race engines that are running just water while on the track. It can be mixed with antifreeze...but the additive package can react with the additive package in the antifreeze...causing the oily blotches in the coolant. They will mix when warmed up."

Which is exactly what I actually saw in the water, many oily "drops" on the surface, I misworded when I said there was a thin layer.

So, I'm going to go ahead and change the coolant and see if that eases my fear, otherwise I believe my head gasket is indeed blown.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:58 AM
trashline
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by agfulan
I dont' think I have a blown head gasket, after looking very close at everything, there is no coolant in the oil, no coolant seaping through near the heads, and the car is running at it's normal temp.
Doesnt mean a gasket is not bad. You need to do a compression test to better determine.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:36 PM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by agfulan
Is there a better product that any of you use here, such as Royal Purple's "Purple Ice", or any other brands additive?
Yeah, I've got just the magic mix. 50% clean or distilled water + 50% good coolant. It's that simple. Avoid all this snake oil crap-in-a-can. Cooler than 190* and you'll start getting sludge. And adding all the snake oil crap in the world will still cause the temp to run at t-stat temps as long as the t-stat is doing its job. Any additive that causes the temp to go below t-stat ratings either disables the t-stat or defies the laws of physics. I wish the idiots putting this crap on the market were forced to drink it.

Then again, I've made a ton of money over the years thanks to miracle long-life coolants and additives... Carry on? Hmmm...
Old 07-26-2009, 03:07 PM
jcthorne
1st Gear Member

Cars that are running significantly ABOVE the thermostat temp are the problem. Folks running at thermostat setting are seldom looking for cooling solutions.

Distilled water, with redline Water Wetter WILL cool better than a 50/50 mix of water and ethylene glycol. SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER. Not to mention it does not leave greasy spots on the track when the coolant cap burps....

This is not snake-oyl. Its science and works, in its correct application. Its not a be all end all cooling solution. Not really intended as an additive with EG coolant. But properly applied, it can be a part of the solution.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:36 PM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Bandaids don't impress me, either. If a car is running above t-stat temp, there is a problem that needs to be fixed. Ever see inside a transmission after a leak sealer? A/C systems are a DIYer favorite and I've got the pics to back up my snake oil claims. Now, we have an OP chasing oil spots and is worried about residue in the future. No sweat, keep on keepin' on. Just do me the favor by fully explaining all these great products used when coming to my shop for repairs. It can save me time and you money when I'm not chasing my tail due to self inflicted snake oil miracle fixits in a can. I feel agfulan may not be so quick at the moment to defend the product, and that's after spending hard earned money on it.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:59 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

I've been running WW and distilled water for years now, no issues except no real freeze protection.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on coolant additives?