Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1968 FB???

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 09:08 PM
SaleenSC

Default 1968 FB???

Hey guys Im lookin into restoring a classic mustang 64 1/2' - 71'. I really have my eyes on the 68' Fastback or a 69' Mach 1 (although the mach 1 might be a little hard to find) but any year in that range would be great. I prefer FB much more. Anyways, Im looking right now at 68' FB that I found nearby. Its purple and the paint is chippin and fading like crazy on it, Its been sittin at this place forever but its still driveable. Havent gotten into the engine or frame closely yet, but overall it looks good. Im supposed to make an offer. I will be restoring this with a friend, kind of a project for the next couple months. What can you guys tell me about the 68 FB what kind of original specs it had (cant find specs for anything before 1981). What I should know about them before I dive into the project, that sort of stuff. Also I cant decide if I want to restore it to exact original condition or if I should restore it and make it into a real fast muscle car. I have absolutely loved mustangs since I was a kid, but I have never restored a classic car before, just been in the business of Jeep restoration as a personal hobby. Thanks in advance...
Old 07-05-2005, 10:20 PM
lClutchl
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 1968 FB???

There are books written on less than what you are asking!

Seriously... the '68 FB is an excellent choice! IMO the finest Mustang ever to roll out of Detroit.

You can go dead stock (if your into that) or you can be happy with your ride and do what you want to it. The main thing you need to do is INSPECT the car carefully, pay attention to the frame rails, quarters, floor pans and cowel vent for rust. Check the shock towers for stress cracks, and if it passes all that, you have a good base to build your dream car. If you go to a local car show, see if you can find someone that owns one, and ask them to show you the critical areas you need to look at. If you need pictures to id these areas, I or anyone here with a 67/8 will be happy to shoot a few for you.

Good luck!