Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1970 wheel doesnt spin

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 01:19 AM
Ponyboy1970
1st Gear Member

Default 1970 wheel doesnt spin

i just bought a 1970 mustang coupe for 1k and it sounds great and everything is a ok but like on the back right wheel i think that their is some serious rust buildup or it might be something else well because it doesnt spin and the drum brake wont loosen and come off, what do u recomend or can it be something else why it doesnt spin i mean i have driven it before and it was fine thankyou for any help you can give me
Old 07-07-2005, 03:28 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 1970 wheel doesnt spin

That is a pretty long sentence ponyboy...
So it spins when you drive it, but not when its up in the air by hand?
Old 07-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Have you used the emergency brake lately? It sounds as if the shoe is stuck to the hub. Crawl under there and lubricate the heck out of the cable and the connection to the hub. Have someone put the emergency brake on and off several times and observe if it is releasing or not.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

if that don't work, check your brake pads, maybe they are pushed out againest the drum?[:@]
Old 07-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Unfortunately, he doesn't have pads on the rear, just shoes. Pads would be easy to pop out to see if they are stuck to the rotor, but he has neither pads nor a rotor. I had a German made Ford that I put the emergency brake on when we went on vacation one time, and when we came back after a month, the rear brake shoes were stuck to the drums. I just gunned it and drove it off around the block and that fixed it, but my emergency brake cable was releasing. His does not seem to be releasing.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:33 PM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

I meant shoes... my bad, I just got done writting a two page complaint letter to Nissan Direct about my month long troubles trying to get Aprils Xterra fixed, so I'm a lil brain dead now. [sm=chairshot.gif] thats what I'd like todo to the parts guy at the Nissan stealership
Old 07-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Nissan has a good reputation for their cars and service. You might want to mention that you are in daily contact with a number of folks who don't even own Nissan's, but would willingly put the bad word out regarding their line of Autos if satisfaction is not gained. Start with the parts man's boss, and climb the ladder from there. I once had a complaint about my 03 Mach go all the way up the chain to the National Ford office. Well, Ford decided to recall out Tremec 5 speeds because the syncronizers were weak. After about a thousand dollars of repair on
Ford's nickel, my tranny is great.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:37 PM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

Thats pretty much what I am doing, started with the service manager, went to the general manager of the dealership, now onto Nissan direct. The general manager offered for me to bring the suv back, I was like riiiiight, the parts guy doesn't like me there for he's prolly told the mechanics about it... there is no way I would give someone my girls suv, and a wrench if they didnt like me, hell they could loosen all the lugnuts and let her drive off or some crazy stuff like that, I told the guy I was done, because they won't refund her the money she spent to have it looked at. There is nothing else they can do for me, I won't set foot back on that dealership lot again. If ya wanna read the letter I'll Email it to yas, it has the whole outline of what happened.
Anyway back on topic, aren't drums notouris for locking up one wheel sometimes? Seems like more then once I've heard about people having a back tire lock up on trucks from the 80s and 90s...?
Old 07-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Well, the brake wheel cylinder could have locked up, stuck in the brake on position. If it were mine, I would tear down the whole brake system for that side and make sure everything is copasthetic . It probably needs a wheel cylinder overhaul all the way around anyway.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

[sm=goodidea.gif]

Quick Reply: 1970 wheel doesnt spin