Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Smooth front bumper bolt removal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:06 PM
67mustangreg
2nd Gear Member

Default Smooth front bumper bolt removal?

My car came with HALF a front bumper. Why? I have no clue. But it did, now as I begin to actually make something of my paperweight I need that bracket before i toss the bumper. So, I went to take it off the other day. But the thing is, is that there's nothing to hold on to so it just spins around with the nut. I already gave it a little penetrating oil. How do I get the bracket off without drilling out the nuts? That would suck, and barely be worth the $10 for a new one.

Just an idea of what I'm working with here, my car in it's current state:
Old 08-20-2009, 11:38 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

You could just cut the head off the bolt.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:03 AM
67mustangreg
2nd Gear Member

Yes, I thought about that. But a NEW bracket from my local mustang shop is only like $10 bucks. This was my high school project, even though I just graduated, and I've done everything on it as inexpensive as I can and all by myself too. No shops have touched her yet, under my ownership. If I can, I re-use as many of the old parts as I can. I just resurface them and hit them with primer or new paint. It just seems like a waste to buy a new one.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:14 AM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

The bumper is not warped or anything? Cause if it is, the bumper support might be also. Just a thought.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:20 AM
67mustangreg
2nd Gear Member

A lot of the crap on my front end is warped. I have suspicions it was in a low-speed accident...I was working on flattening the grill out today with a mallet and brick. It's really messed up and I don't dee how it's fixable. But I'm not going to spend $70 for just a freakin' piece of metal. I thought it was usable, same thing with the driver's "grille opening panel"...it's pretty warped...not sure what to do now, I have a repro body assembly manual on order from my shop that should be in tomorrow. I've been buying all the parts to put the whole front back together...bought a front bumper, the front valance, brackets etc etc etc...and now I may get held up by the darn grill not fitting right. I'll get more pics tomorrow to explain what I'm talking about.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:31 AM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

Try to find a "Nut Breaker" . It's a small tool that goes around the nut, it has a threaded point that is supposed to split the nut. Do a Google search for Nut Breaker and you can see one. http://www.tool-home.com/products/ca...ducts_id=16337
Old 08-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

thanksdad has the right idea. You may be able to borrow one from a schucks or napa. I think Harbor Freight sells them cheap as well. You may have to replace the bolts any ways. IIRC the bottom of the head has a square spot that goes into a square hole in the bumper and if the one on the bolt is bad then you may not be able to get the bolt tight enough on the new bumper.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:33 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Those bolts are supposed to be squared under the head and fit into a squared hole, which holds them in place. Something is not right with your bolt or hole.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:36 PM
jcoby
2nd Gear Member

you used a brick as a dolly? seriously?
Old 08-21-2009, 04:43 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

use a rust penetrating oil, and grab the end of the thread with vice grips. Then break the nut loose. Once you're done, use a tap/die set and clean the threads up. Otherwise, weld the head to the bumper with a couple tac welds that can be cleaned up after your done.

Quick Reply: Smooth front bumper bolt removal?