Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

dist ,ignition,>?/ problem..replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 05:09 AM
markrazz
1st Gear Member

Default dist ,ignition,>?/ problem..replacement

ok..we fooled around with the timing,points,carb, ect today and finnally got the 351w driving a little better for awhile..sure enough after a nice little ride it once again started stalling and not restarting..finnally got the bucket of bolts steemminn home..
came to the conclusion i need to change to points out and replace distributer cap[ ect..
now what all needs to be replaced and what are some suggestions and links to help me out..im pretty retarted about ignition stuff so im learnin as i go so explain like im a child plerase..thanx all
Old 07-10-2005, 05:23 AM
nualln
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: dist ,ignition,>?/ problem..replacement

Go to the local parts store (autozone, pepboys, napa) and ask for a cap and rotor for your year and model and ask for points/condensor. It should be 20-30 bucks total.

The cap and rotor are pretty self explanitory, it would be hard to instal them incorrectly. For the points, follow the instructions. If you need help, ask here.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:15 AM
markrazz
1st Gear Member

would it be worth the extra money and effort to change the points to hei system>? and what would i have to switch out or replace to do this>? ty
Old 07-10-2005, 06:29 AM
nualln
3rd Gear Member

I wouldnt go HEI, but I would spend about 70 bucks and get a pertronix ignitor module. It fits in place of the points and is relatively simple to hook up if you can find a place to connect the wire for 12v. It eliminates the problems inherent in a points style system.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:13 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Yes, join the 3rd millenium and cast those points aside...you'll never look back.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:11 AM
markrazz
1st Gear Member

2 different opinions..i think i neeed to repace my cap so i might go ahead and replace the whole thing rather than the pertronix ignitor, since price will be pretty close either way i think..
so what else do i need to change out>? ty
Old 07-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

It doesn't make sense to replace the points and condenser if you are going to replace the cap and rotor anyway. For 64.95 you could slap in the pertronix in about the same amount of time as replacing the points and gapping them, plus setting the dwell and timing. But, if you do stick with the points and condenser, that along with a new cap and rotor is all you will need, unless you susicion your plug wires and plugs.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:52 PM
lClutchl
3rd Gear Member

Get rid of the points!

I replaced mine with the Mallory Unilite distributor (This was before Pertronix came out). I used to have to mess with the dual points on a weekly basis... Haven't had to fiddle with timing since installing it!

Seriously... GET RID OF THE POINTS!
Old 07-11-2005, 02:14 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

My mallory unilite conversion blew out under high load and left me stranded 50 miles from home. I just had to go faster up a hill than that other guy. After the tow home and talking to racer friends of mine, I went MSD all the way. But for a stocker, Pertronix seems to the answer...
Old 07-11-2005, 02:35 PM
lClutchl
3rd Gear Member

I've been stranded by the same module... 1 time in 15 years.

I've kept a backup module in the toolkit ever since.

Quick Reply: dist ,ignition,>?/ problem..replacement