Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

paint white console or restore it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 01:59 AM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Default paint white console or restore it?

I have a white console that has yellowed over time. It is unpainted from factory. There is a homemade solution called Retr0bright that you can use on yellowed plastic to restore its original color. I could try this or I could try painting it with white interior paint.

Problems are 1) the Retr0bright solution could not work out as great as I thought it would, or 2) painting the console, it could flake off overtime and reveal the yellowed plastic underneath.

Which should I do?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:19 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

if you try the retrobright and it doesn't work, you're just left with where you started and you can then paint it, so I would go that route first if you want to preserve that originality.

however, one other problem that you didn't list is that the white paint might not match the rest of your interior if you have a lot of other white like in your seats or on your dash or door panels. but then again, the restored finish with retrobright might not be a perfect match either.

just my .02
Old 09-10-2009, 02:39 AM
MetalEd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Canary94GT
I have a white console that has yellowed over time. It is unpainted from factory. There is a homemade solution called Retr0bright that you can use on yellowed plastic to restore its original color. I could try this or I could try painting it with white interior paint.
Don't just use any type of paint to paint it. Use a specialty plastic paint, like fusion,, that bonds to the plastic.
You can also get an adhesion promoter for plastic and then use any type of automotive paint you want. I did this with my GL1100I Goldwing (motorcycle) when I painted it almost 9 years ago... No chipping or paint peeling yet and the whole thing is plastic... old plastic since it is an 1980!
If you decide to paint it either way, just make sure you scuff it up with a few grades of Synthetic steel wool.. start with 2 or 1 and go down to 0 (use 00 to 000 if you need to recoat.) so the paint has something to grab onto
... also the way you would patch any chips.
Hope that helps.