Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Does This Pitman Arm Look Right?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Piraya33
2nd Gear Member

Default Does This Pitman Arm Look Right?

This is what the Pitman Arm looks like on my 65. It looks like it is angled down. Is this how it is supposed to be? I have manual steering. Also, if I decide to take it off to clean things up, do I need a special tool to remove it? When I put it back on, how do I center it? Thanks everyone!

-James
Old 10-02-2009, 05:28 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

Looking at the casting mark in the top pic, yes, it looks like it's bent down. Your shaft also looks worn. Do you have any play in the arm, up/down, left/right?
Old 10-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Piraya33
2nd Gear Member

No, there is no play at all. It is tight as hell! I thought the shaft looked worn too but if it is, do I have to have the whole steering box rebuilt or replace the whole thing? Here are some more pics of how it looks when it is turned toward the passenger side.

-James
Old 10-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

It looks to me like it's cockeyed, but that's hard to do with those. It could also be the dirt one one end.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Gun Jam

If you grab the pitman arm and add force to it up and down or left/right does it wiggle at all? It almost looks like its kinda just hanging on there but I doubt that... The steering box isnt damaged is it? Is there a ton of free play in the steering wheel?

-Gun
Old 10-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Piraya33
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
If you grab the pitman arm and add force to it up and down or left/right does it wiggle at all? It almost looks like its kinda just hanging on there but I doubt that... The steering box isnt damaged is it? Is there a ton of free play in the steering wheel?

-Gun
No play at all. It is on there really good. I don't think the steering box is damaged. Last time I drove it (when it was all together) there was some free play in the steering wheel, but I thought it was just that the steering box needed adjusted. What should I do?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Gun Jam

Originally Posted by Piraya33
What should I do?
If its been working okay....let sleeping dogs lie.

If you must remove it...I think it only fits one way as the splines are keyed...but to be safe you can magic marker a line on the arm and shaft then pull it with a 2 jaw puller of some type.

-Gun
Old 10-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Piraya33
2nd Gear Member

I think I am gonna leave it alone for now. If there is a lot of play in the steering when I put it back on the ground I will try servicing the steering box first. If that doesn't work then I will look at replacing the steering box. Thanks guys!
Old 10-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Gun Jam

I hear rebuilding the box yields better results than buying the Flaming river gear box...I dont know...I do know I like my FR gear box

-Gun
Old 10-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Piraya33
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
I hear rebuilding the box yields better results than buying the Flaming river gear box...I dont know...I do know I like my FR gear box

-Gun
What FR box did you get? Are you using the stock steering column?

Quick Reply: Does This Pitman Arm Look Right?