Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

VR1 Oil.. which weight?

Old 11-02-2009, 01:06 PM
jcoby
2nd Gear Member

a graph without units is worthless. amsoil got 0.48 what? microns? mm? parsecs? angstroms? i'm not going to pay $35 to see what the spec says it should be rated in.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:59 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

It's been widely considered by many for years that AMSOIL and AMSOIL distributors fudge a lot of those testing numbers(such as showing no units on test sheets for instance). That said, they still make a really good oil.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:12 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1971mach1
My 351C gets all kinds of lifter noise when engine is cold with 20W-50. Calif winter is
not really cold ~50s (F) so it's not much of a factor.
It runs great on 10W-30 Valvoline VR-1. Hafta special-order it from Napa.
I heard Roush now has a light weight racing oil with ZDDP too (made by Valvoline) check roushoil.com.
I checked into the zinc issue with Amsoil and they sent me TSB MO-2007-08-08 showing how their oils stack up. The modern SM rated oils have a zinc/zddp content of about 700 ppm or so, (parts per million), as is mandated by the federal E.P.A.

All the Amsoil Dominator synthetic racing oils in 5W-20, 10W-30 and 15W-50 have zinc content of 1,575 ppm. I've searched and I don't see anything else out on the market that compares.
Their AMO 10W-40 synthetic has a zinc content of 1,378 ppm.
ARO 20W-50 synthetic has a zinc content of 1,379 ppm.
HDD 5W-30 synthetic has a zinc content of 1,379 ppm.
AME 15W-40 synthetic has a zinc content of 1,377.

This is right off of their TSB on the zinc issue. I hope this helps provide some more information on the issue.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:17 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
It's been widely considered by many for years that AMSOIL and AMSOIL distributors fudge a lot of those testing numbers(such as showing no units on test sheets for instance). That said, they still make a really good oil.
I don't think any business would want to put themselves in the position of fudging ASTM test results, along with the resulting hefty fines for fraud and lawsuits. That could put any business out of business in a hurry. If these ASTM test results were being fudged, you can be sure that some Big Oil company would make this known immediately and have one of their competitors shut down. That hasn't happened, 'cause the test results aren't fudged.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:33 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Oh really? Interestingly enough in the racing community, Torco is one of the chief competitors to AMSOIL, and they always seem to come out as the worst in every test done by AMSOIL or their distributors. Yet in ASTM tests conducted by other manufacturers Torco comes out as one of the best(along with AMSOIL and Redline). I'm not saying AMSOIL lies, but just like statistics of any flavor, you can "tell the truth" about a certain situation in such a way that it gives the wrong impression. Torco is WIDELY used in nitromethane fueled cars producing thousands of horsepower all the way down to street cars, and it has proven to be one of the best oils on the planet. Everyone I know who cuts their filters when they change the oil all report the cleanest filters using Torco, as well as AMSOIL or Redline. A lot of people just take issue with how it always seems that when AMSOIL does a test, their primary competitors seem to be the worst oils out there. Like I said though, AMSOIL still makes really good oil.

One thing I do like a lot about AMSOIL is how the directly confronted the Zinc issue and oil with cats. They actually brought up the fact that there's 0 evidence of ZDDP damaging cats, as well as the fact that the EPA ppm content for ZDDP doesn't take into account oil volatility, and therefore the actual volume of ZDDP burned off, regardless of ppm content.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:33 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jcoby
a graph without units is worthless. amsoil got 0.48 what? microns? mm? parsecs? angstroms? i'm not going to pay $35 to see what the spec says it should be rated in.
The wear scars are measured in millimeters and all the other posted wear tests on their web site state this. I guess the one for their Dominator Racing Oil's slipped through the cracks. No biggie.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:52 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

67mustang302;6609861]Oh really? Interestingly enough in the racing community, Torco is one of the chief competitors to AMSOIL, and they always seem to come out as the worst in every test done by AMSOIL or their distributors.
Asmoil distributors don't perform any testing. The tests are completed by independent labs using ASTM test parameters.

Yet in ASTM tests conducted by other manufacturers Torco comes out as one of the best(along with AMSOIL and Redline). I'm not saying AMSOIL lies, but just like statistics of any flavor, you can "tell the truth" about a certain situation in such a way that it gives the wrong impression.
Interestingly, Torco fuels was raided, financial records seized and an investigation begun on $1 million in unpaid corporate income and employment taxes, unpaid property taxes and the below article says the company is, "presently insolvent" and "seems to be unraveling at its seams." So when it comes to credibility, I think Amsoil Inc. stands head and shoulders over the seemingly seedy report below -

Court-appointed receiver now controls Torco Racing Fuels

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/...er_now_co.html

One thing I do like a lot about AMSOIL is how the directly confronted the Zinc issue and oil with cats. They actually brought up the fact that there's 0 evidence of ZDDP damaging cats, as well as the fact that the EPA ppm content for ZDDP doesn't take into account oil volatility, and therefore the actual volume of ZDDP burned off, regardless of ppm content.
The CEO of Amsoil Inc., Al Amatuzio, is a great gentleman and of the highest ethical and moral character.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:17 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I don't put a lot of stock in lab testing anyway, since most of it doesn't even come close to simulating real world situations. That's why if someone showed me test results of why AMSOIL sucked I'd ignore it, because i know from real world experience that AMSOIL is a good oil. That and often "independent laboratory testing" is conducted by an independent lab, but at the request and cost of a certain company.

And Torco Racing Fuels is a seperate company from Torco Racing Oils. They're owned by the same parent company from what I understand, but are 2 separate companies operated independently of one another. They even have different logos(Torco Oil has a separate label than Torco Fuels, but Torco Advanced Lubricants which is the owner I think has the same label as Torco Fuels), just the same name. Torco Oils is operating out of Rancho Cucamonga, California.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:28 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

we never get cold here maybe 1 or 2 days of freezing temps with that said iirc Ford recommends 5-30 now for all of their motors even the older ones you want something that will flow at freezing temps kali other wise its like running the motor dry...