Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Opiniuons on the restomod which way to go (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:44 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Its your car and your money but go to a ford or mustang car show you'll never stand out with a eleanor everyone has one now.Look at lcc car he did some basic body mods and the car look great.Less is more to me the money you save on not buying a eleanor kit and making it fit good could be spent else where.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grod297
Okay, Any and all opinions are welcome which way would you go with a 67 restomod.
'Restomod' to me means mechanical improvements and updates with particular attention paid to cornering/handling function (since that is the single big thing that separates "Restomod" or "Pro-Touring" from the dragstrip-oriented "Pro-Street" builds). What direction is the car taking mechanically?

I think the appearance should at least not conflict with the car's apparent purpose or be overly "busy". Pick your theme and stick to it. Ask yourself if there's much chance it'll look "dated" in a few years, and whether you'd want to go through it and do it over differently if you think it might.

I'm a fan of doing things with a 'subtle' touch. I can't tell you what to do, but I can ask some questions to provoke more thought before you get too deep into it.

(Can't see the pictures on my work computer)

Norm
Old 11-09-2009, 02:39 PM
opie_803
2nd Gear Member

i agree with most on here, you can get too far away from what the "MUSTANG" is all about when you start putting body kits on these classic cars. i think most would say they like these cars for the nystalgia they hold. i feel like small tasteful mods to make it your own and up grades to the drivetrain and suspension/braking are the way to go.

for me, body kits are for late model cars that are a dime-a-dozen. hold on to the classics, they dont make them anymore.

my two cents...
Old 11-09-2009, 03:44 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Not to mention the costs, but the OP had 2 cars in very different price ranges.

The only cool Eleanors (my opinion) are the ones that push the performance limits and have an expensive custom interior. The motors alone should run about $20K. Otherwise someone ruined a nice fastback for a clone without the bite to back up the bark.

Buy a dynacorn shell and you won't offend anyone.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:21 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

To me with all the shelby clones and eleanors out there now a stock looking mustang with tasteful body mods will stand out a lot more.I like to keep everything simple as i can less problems later on.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:41 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grod297
So it looks like the elenor style is not much liked here

What do you think about these? in the less is more camp.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
I like the blue one but the silver one is nice! The wheels are far too big on both though.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:58 AM
LCC
4th Gear Member

My opinion is not to change the original design but to enhance it. I like the look of the Eleanor but it wasn't for me. You have to look at your self and do what "you" would be happy with 10 years from now. And yes there are things that I will do differently next time.

Thanks for the compliments..
Old 11-10-2009, 09:08 AM
FasterCat
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe

My vote goes for this. It looks awesome. I would love to have it.

I think less is defintely more. I like the sleeper look.
Ditto

Spend your money on the guts of the car,
make it "faster, better handling, and more driveable than you could ever imagine"

67 Mustangs are meant to be driven .... trailer queens are a waste of good cars.

... but that's just my opinion

Decide what you want to do with it, make a detailed plan, stick to it, and don't change it (too much) along the way
Old 11-10-2009, 05:26 PM
grod297
1st Gear Member

You guys have really been great. I have settled on the way I want the rear of the car to look. Subtle no chrome here is a picture. Now I just have to figure out the rest.

Keep the comments coming they are helpful to say the least.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-11-2009, 01:31 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

That looks cool.

Quick Reply: Opiniuons on the restomod which way to go (pics)