Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1969 Mustang Oil Pan

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 01:51 PM
69 mustang coupe

Exclamation 1969 Mustang Oil Pan

Hello, i have a 69 mustang with a 302 engine, anyways when my mechanic was changing the oil he found scraps of metal in the oil pan of the car. If anyone knows how those metal scraps got there or what is causing this i would appreciate it. Thanks
Old 11-14-2009, 02:31 PM
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

Pics would help us help you diagnose this. And Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Old 11-14-2009, 03:32 PM
69 mustang coupe

i have no pics something is falling apart somewhere inside the engine bay and it is falling into the oil pan and i don't know what it is?
Old 11-14-2009, 03:49 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69 mustang coupe
Hello, i have a 69 mustang with a 302 engine, anyways when my mechanic was changing the oil he found scraps of metal in the oil pan of the car. If anyone knows how those metal scraps got there or what is causing this i would appreciate it. Thanks
If by, "scraps", you mean small particles, this would tend to indicate a lubricant/oil related failure, which can lead to premature wear and parts failing. If on the other hand, you means chunks of metal you can pick up with your fingers, that's an indication of something seriously wrong inside the engine and it is about to fail.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:47 PM
69 mustang coupe

Originally Posted by RogerDodger1
If by, "scraps", you mean small particles, this would tend to indicate a lubricant/oil related failure, which can lead to premature wear and parts failing. If on the other hand, you means chunks of metal you can pick up with your fingers, that's an indication of something seriously wrong inside the engine and it is about to fail.
They were small pieces do you know what they could be coming from?
Old 11-14-2009, 07:37 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69 mustang coupe
They were small pieces do you know what they could be coming from?
No way to know without removing the oil pan for a visual inspection inside the engine. I'd recommend you do this before whatever it is that is failing inside the engine, fails and, "Ka-booom".

Last edited by RogerDodger1; 11-14-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Most likely, they are small bits of your bearings. This is normal. If the drain plug is packed with them , it is something to worry about. Also, it depends on mileage. High milage...time to worry. I'm guessing that they are brass colored. I would say, let it go unless you want to rebuild.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:25 PM
jfritts
1st Gear Member

I agree with roger you should probably drop the oil pan and check out the bottom end to see how everything looks. it would be much better to find out now that end up tossing a rod or something down the road
Old 11-19-2009, 07:11 PM
69 mustang coupe

so you think they are small pieces of bearings? Thanks for the response
Old 11-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

In my opinion, this is normal. You are losing your bearings. It is a judgement call from here. A lot of people will tell you it is time for a rebuild now, where I think it can wait. You have to watch this over the life of the motor. Does it have a lot of miles? In any case, I would just keep an eye on it and at the first indication of a knock....rebuild. That could be 3 months from now....or 5 years. Save up some money for it and you will be ready.

Think of it as an early warning . I wouldn't rebuild just yet though. This is an indicaator of what is coming, there is time to prepare.

Quick Reply: 1969 Mustang Oil Pan