Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67 starter circuit help (or 5.0/AOD conversion experience)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 03:26 PM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

Default 67 starter circuit help (or 5.0/AOD conversion experience)

Hi guys - I am dusting off a project started a couple of years ago. Currently, there is a 5.0 engine and an AOD trans sitting in the car. (67 coupe). I would like to get the starter to kick over by turning the key. Not to start it, since nothing else is connected, but to engage the starter. One step of many to come.

When I turn the key, nothing happens. I have 12V volts going to the positive side of the starter selenoid on the firewall. (directly from the battery) With the key in the "key on" position, there is 12Vs on the front right side of the starter selenoid, the front post closest to the starter cable side, and the one that the push connector goes onto. (brown wire)

Now, there is nothing connected to the connectors that come through the firewall, with one connector that normally goes to the top side of the engine, and the other connector that normally goes to the nuetral safety switch. (if the old C4 was still in there)

1. Is the lack of a nuetral safety switch preventing the 12V from kicking over the starter from the key? If so, there are three wires coming out of the firewall for that, what do I need to do with them?
2. Is there something on the other connector that normally feeds the engine harness, which would impact the starting circuit?

I have swaped out the starter with a spare, and then a spare starter selenoid on the fire wall for troubleshooting puposes. Same syptoms.

I'm leaning toward the lack of a nuetral safety switch or the need for those three wires to be connected together in some way.

What are your thoughts on this problem? Suggestions?
Old 12-03-2009, 04:14 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

The neutral safety is the problem. You need to run a jumper on the through firewall connector that went to the neutral safety. One side will be neutral safety and the other will be back up lights. The start wire from the key should be connected on the solenoid to the post closest to the battery cable not closest to the starter cable. The post that you are on is intended to put a full 12v on the coil during starting. If you are running the 5.0 ignition and dizzy that post will be empty.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:47 PM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
The neutral safety is the problem. You need to run a jumper on the through firewall connector that went to the neutral safety. One side will be neutral safety and the other will be back up lights. The start wire from the key should be connected on the solenoid to the post closest to the battery cable not closest to the starter cable. The post that you are on is intended to put a full 12v on the coil during starting. If you are running the 5.0 ignition and dizzy that post will be empty.
Thanks for the info! This took care of the problem!! Sometimes you just have to walk away from it, hear it from someone else, and step back into the garage.

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-03-2009, 06:47 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Cool deal