Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

engine wont turn by hand

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 12:37 AM
eep4life
2nd Gear Member

well i just took alook at my TQ and as far as i can tell its not touching the bell housing i can get my fingers behind it to a point then it gets to tight but i dont see it touching anywhere. but that sucker is stuck i pulled on it for a good min. but it wont budge.. ill have to use something to get some leverage
Old 04-30-2010, 01:31 PM
eep4life
2nd Gear Member

also in a worse case scenario if i did break the gear pump... how much would it be to replace it?
Old 04-30-2010, 01:42 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

If its jammed in the transmission that is not good. You probably did bust the pump. I know someone who had to buy one, and i dont think it was too expensive. Next time keep twisting and pushing on the convertor until it seats fully. trust me, i went through the same thing on my 88 mustang. It kept jamming the motor up. In my case my convertor had to be tapped with a hammer to seat in the transmission properly. After getting it running its making a rattling and know people are saying i probably cracked my flywheel. Check you flywheel REALLY good before you mount the transmission back up.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:02 PM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

If it was me i would take a prybar and work it around the edges of the converter with a rubber mallet banging on the opposite side of the converter. Between the two of them they would eventually work the converter loose. After it is out look for damage to the TC, input shaft and pump.

But you might be the point where you need to consider taking it into a tranny shop to let a professional look at it.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:06 PM
eep4life
2nd Gear Member

gonna work on that trans today, once i get that TQ out how will i be able to tell if the gear pump got damaged?
Old 05-06-2010, 01:08 PM
eep4life
2nd Gear Member

i got the TQ out with not to much effort using a pry bar. just had to work each side a little but once it popped off i looks like everything is fine, im not sure how to tell if the gear pump has been damaged or not, also as far as the shafts that come out of the trans that the TQ sits on, theres the wide one and a skinnier one that come out of the wide one. i can turn the skinny one by hand but the wide on wont turn by hand is that normal?
Old 05-06-2010, 03:55 PM
eep4life
2nd Gear Member

ok so i put the TQ back on the trans and im 99% positive it sat right, it clicked in to place 3 times (over the 2 spines, and in to place) and im able to turn the TQ but i can only spin it about a quarter turn? should i be able to spin it all the way around with no effort or not? and would having no fluid in the trans cause this?
Old 05-06-2010, 04:51 PM
rtintwo
2nd Gear Member

Yes a properly installed TQ should be able to be turned all the way around.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:46 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rtintwo
Yes a properly installed TQ should be able to be turned all the way around.
+1, it should turn with little effort.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:22 PM
eep4life
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the quick responses guys. But does anyone have an idea to what could be stopping it from turning all the way? It turns about a 1/4 then stops as if its hitting something. When I do turn it however I can hear the internals move. Would adding the trans fluid help?

Quick Reply: engine wont turn by hand