Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Fuel Issue/Vapor Lock

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 02:49 PM
63Falcon

Default Fuel Issue/Vapor Lock

Falcon ran smooth at idle and once in gear when cold. Would go in and out of all gears, no problem. After driving 10 miles and getting warm it would die when put in gear, especially reverse. Once restarted it would run rough. Thought I had a carb problem.

Bought a new carb and installed it. Falcon ran like a singer sewing machine. Thought I had my problem wipped. Drove it 10 or so miles and got it warmed up. Put it through the gears. No problem dying and more. Drove a couple miles turned off the engine. Started it up after going into a store and it ran rough. Stepped on the gas and it died. Died 4 more times before I got it home. About every time I gave it any gas.

I'm thinking vapor lock at this point. Thoughts on what my problem could be? Any help much appreciated.

------------------------------------
1963 Ford Falcon Futura Convertible, 6 cylinder (170, 2.8L), FordOMatic Transmission
Old 06-13-2010, 11:16 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I would be more inclinded to think that there is crud/rust in the gas tank for sitting. In your other thread you said it sat for 20 years right? I hope there is not crap in your new carb now.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:35 PM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

ditto on the carb crud... though I would also check plugs, wires, loose dizzy cap, etc... I would drain the gas tank, fill it with clean, new gas and install about 3 inline filters. this is of course after cleaning out the carb.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:51 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

ya. rather crap than vapor lock. get an inline fuel filter just before carb (transparent).
If the filter is full of air/bubbles when the problem happens it's vapor lock, if it's full of dirt then the tank might be contaminated.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:55 AM
63Falcon

I removed the tank and took it to a radiator shop to have it cleaned out.

Will the screen on the sender unit and fuel filter on the fuel pump not remove any crud before it gets to the carb?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:14 AM
63Falcon

Is this the type of filter you would install?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...rm=fuel+filter

What's the best means of installing it? The gas line that runs from the fuel pump to the carb is metal with many turns and screw-in type connectors. Can I put in a rubber, gas rated hose in leu of the metal. I think I'd prefer not cutting the orig metal gas line to splice in the filter.

Thoughts?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:16 AM
63Falcon

In Line Fuel Filter
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._P|GRP2026____
Old 06-14-2010, 09:01 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 63Falcon
ya. that's the one. just make sure you have the right size. most V8 are 3/8 hose. and most inline 6 cylinder are 5/16 hose. some filters have adapter for both.
Any see through filter like that will do
Old 06-16-2010, 01:55 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

The links are not showing the part, they only show Advance's website. Anyway, if your talking about the Mr Gasket inline filter thats clear with the replaceable element, thats why i have on mine. I have it between the inner fender where the hard line comes through and the fuel pump. Like was already stated, make sure you get the proper size. I also have another Edlebrock filter just before the carb.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:35 AM
63Falcon

How did you install one right before the carb? I have a steel line running from the fuel pump to the carb.

Quick Reply: Fuel Issue/Vapor Lock