Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A woman's project: 68 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 04:57 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
I wish I could get my wife working on the car
well that's the difference. it's her car ,-)
Old 07-18-2010, 09:13 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
well that's the difference. it's her car ,-)
It's not even my car She came up with the brilliant idea we do a car for my son. I guess she's the idea girl and I'm the labor. My son has done a little work but get's "bored" with the more mundane jobs

I'm doing the cowl now.....well attempting not to go through what you're doing. The PO replaced the cowl but used silicone caulk instead of seam sealer. It's a nightmare trying to remove it without taking everything apart. I'm hoping to get it all out today then use my undercoat gun to get everything covered with POR. Then some SEM (2 part) Self Leveling Seam Sealer then another coat of POR. Still unsure about POR but I'm loving the SEM products and my local supplier has been extremely helpful, as was SEM when I called to ask about prep before shooting their bed liner.

Your car looks great, keep posting those pics!!!
Old 07-18-2010, 09:50 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

This is a great thread, and thank you for sharing pictures of your progress!! I wish I had the opportunity to do something like this. You are both doing a very nice job. I can't wait to see how it turns out~!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:26 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

We've been working slowly, but here are a few updates.

First we decided to blast and coat inside the torque box since we were digging so deep into things.

Then we got the rear seat floor in place.

And we fit the floor.

And welded.

Since we were working with bare metal and I hate rust, I got busy with the paint.

I also stripped the fenders while the hub was welding. There are some bad spots but they should be worth saving.

We'll continue with the passenger floor, both toe boards and seat risers next. (Woulda Coulda Shoulda done a full floor pan, hindsight is 20 20!)
Old 08-10-2010, 08:36 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Great job!!! You and your hubby should be so proud of yourselves already!! Excellent work....thank you so much for sharing.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:25 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
It's not even my car She came up with the brilliant idea we do a car for my son. I guess she's the idea girl and I'm the labor. My son has done a little work but get's "bored" with the more mundane jobs
Just tell him he won't get the car unless he does some work. That should do the job.

Great project so far NoReins!!! It's lookin good!!!
Old 08-13-2010, 05:02 PM
eatmyjeep
1st Gear Member

nice job, and thanks for the pics!! I find it so hard to stop what im doing and snap photos
Old 08-15-2010, 03:26 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

The hub must have ordered this Shelby Roll Bar under my radar. I tried to act mad that he bought it without telling me, but instead I was just really excited! We did a quick test fit and it fits like a glove. We also got busy on the driver's side floor and then the camera battery died.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:27 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

I appreciate everyones words of encouragement. Here are some new updates!

We also stuck the rollbar back in to figure out how we'll go about welding it to the torque boxes.

Does anyone know if this is a folddown seat? These are the only seat parts that came with the car. The back folds down, I just don't know if it's a "folddown". I'm hoping it is and I can scrounge up the remaining parts.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:28 PM
MustangFTW

after seeing this im kinda happy my dad bought me a 67 that runs!

but ya the rust protection on these beasts is horrible, im in the proccess of grinding one quarter panel down to bare metal and replacing the other one. might need a new oil pan too

Quick Reply: A woman's project: 68 Fastback