Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Hardened Valve Seats

Old 08-11-2005, 11:42 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Hardened Valve Seats

73 needs some 3.25 gears more than anything...or even 3.50s to wake up his car.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:13 AM
73Cleveland
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 69mach1377

73 needs some 3.25 gears more than anything...or even 3.50s to wake up his car.
Yep, you're right 69! I'm thinking I may do something about that this winter. I was considering something up to a 3.50 in combo with an AOD. I may still do it without the AOD. I haven't been able to get a straight answer yet from the vendor as to if I would have to make any changes to the console or crossmember. All he said was since they didnt sell a xmember for my car, therefore little or no changes are required. He also didnt know about the console. I know I'll need to change cooling lines & mod the driveshaft.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:26 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

You can always get a welder to mod your crossmember if required. But with an AOD, you could probably even go higher in ratio and still keep your rpms low on the highway. It'll be a blast...
Old 08-12-2005, 12:48 PM
73Cleveland
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

After reading several long articles on this, it appears that it is agreed by several authors on this subject, that 1971 was the first year that all cars were required to burn un-leaded gas. I would assume then, that the 1971 on engines all had hardened seats.
My memory sure aint what it used to be... Hey what were we discussing here?

Oh yeah!

I think there were several years (3 or 4 ?) where both leaded & unleaded were both sold. Wasn't unleaded also available before cats were developed? I'm rembering that unleded was required when the cats were added to cars so not to plug up the cats. The lead changed the charastics of the metal inside and slowly plugged them up causing all kinds of problems. That's why the gas filler neck restricters were put in.

I hate this CRS stuff!!!
Old 08-12-2005, 01:10 PM
73Cleveland
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

You guys are mixing apples and oranges regarding European built cars and U.S. built cars. Remember, the Europeans didn't have the EPA breathing down their neck as did the Yankees, and that happend in the late 60's. Here is a blurb from one of the articles I was talking about.
Tetra-ethyl Lead
Early engines had a lot of problems with loss of compression due to rapid valve wear. the valve surface just didn't last very long. In 1935, the Ethyl corporation started marketing a fuel additive to gasoline refiners which made the valve surfaces last much longer. It was known as "tetra-ethyl lead", or just plain "lead". It also increased the octane rating of the fuel. What it did was coat the surface of the exhaust valve with lead. This acted as a high temperature lubricant, slowing down the transfer of molecular sized particles from the face to the seat. The way it worked, was it coated everything that got really hot, with lead. It also coated the piston, combustion chamber, spark plug, and exhaust system, with lead. This lead powder was an abrasive, so it caused the rings to wear prematurely. It was also caustic, so it caused the spark plugs, and exhaust systems to wear out prematurely. Lead powder also got in the oil, contaminating it prematurely, requiring more frequent oil changes. In short, the lead helped the valves last longer, at the expense of the rest of the engine. It also meant gasoline refiners didn't have to refine their product as precisely, they just had to add lead to it.
It became apparent, by scientific research during the 1960's, that lead was also an environmental hazard. It got into the atmosphere from car exhaust, was absorbed by the clouds, and therefore the rain had lead content. The lead contaminated rain fell on the grass which absorbed it. The cows ate the grass, and we drank the milk the cows produced. Tests on humans revealed an alarming level of lead poisoning, and it was causing learning disabilities, and birth defects. Something had to be done! Every lifeform on earth was being contaminated by car exhaust. The newly formed Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in the United States, started putting pressure on the car manufacturers to build engines that didn't require leaded fuel, and in 1971 cars built in North America, no longer needed lead in their gasoline.
As of 1975, most north American cars came equipped with catalytic converters in their exhaust systems. Catalytic converters convert carbon monoxide and unburned hydrocarbons, two pollutants in the exhaust stream, to carbon dioxide, and water. They do this by passing the exhaust gas through pellets, or a ceramic honeycomb, of platinum and palladium which is glowing red hot. Because lead coats everything that gets hot, it coats the catalyst too. The converter is useless after one tankful of leaded gas. If the car is equipped with an oxygen sensor, it too becomes useless after one use of leaded gas.
Hey Soaring,

We was just clearing up the diff's between european car reports as compared to US reports on the leaded gas to try to keep it from getting more confussing. We needed to check the country of origin to make sure we kept it focused on the US only. It was interestin that we always have to be the leaders in doing things first that cause consumers more money. I know it's a health issue but... Getting down off my soap box about over regulating the citizens...

That was a real interesting peice you posted! I had no idea lead was that bad for everything else in the engine. No wonder cars seemed to require rebuilding much more often then. I remember changing oil every 2k and it would look like unrefined crude. (no funny comments about the condition of my old first car, POS 66 galaxie 4dr 352 please!) It just looked like a POS but actually ran very well.

Dad REQUIRED a car he thought was safe. BIG meant safe! As it turned out he was right (looking back dad was always right about things like that). I proved it was safe one night but thats another story of a teenager on a date and hormones gone wild!