Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

289 4V Carb & Manifold suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 01:35 PM
tdg01

Default 289 4V Carb & Manifold suggestions?

I've seen a few threads lately pertaining to aftermarket carbs, etc. I have a 65 289 2V and I'd like to put a 4V on it. It's a stock motor and I'm not looking to turn it into a hotrod, I just want a bit more response. Ideally I'm interested in a combo thats been tried and tested, straight bolt on, and reliable. I'm thinking its fairly common and a supplier can supply the carb correctly jetted, etc, for my exact application. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks, Tim
Old 12-03-2010, 02:29 PM
PaulS
1st Gear Member

For the simplest "bolt-on-and-go" it is hard to beat the Edelbrock "Performer" manifold and the Edelbrock carb that goes with it. The only additional part id the transmission kick-down if you are running an automatic transmission.
You can call and talk to them about the carb and related parts for the application.

I am a Holley guy - I prefer to use them because they can be easily tuned to match any application and use but that is also a draw-back for those not used to working with them. A novice can really mess up a Holley in no time because they are so tunable. It is hard to mess up the Edelbrock because you have to buy parts to tune them and they normally have good throttle response and excellent street manners right out of the box. Keep your carb at or below 600 CFM for your stock engine.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:54 PM
reillymax

Yep, I would say PaulS summed it just about all up.If you want user friendly Edelbrock performer carb and intake.If you would like something that has more control or to be used for race its Holley. Just put 600cfm Edelbrock on my Mopar because they ran the old AFB carbs thought it would be fun, works real nice. Not to say you cant use an Edelbrock for race I just have all ways had trouble dialing them down as far as I could get a Holley.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:14 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

I have OEM 4bbl manifold and carb on 65 289; it is reliable and nice.
Never had to change jets. Easy to rebuild OEM carb. Only issues I've had is accelerator pump goes out about every 5 years; very cheap and easy to replace. My carb does stall (approx 1 second) at times if I floor it from stop; have not taken time to troubleshoot this minor issue.
I rebuilt it over 10 years ago.

I have edelbrock performer carb and manifold on 351W.
It is important to install correct jets/rods and tune to your application.
Not likely to be correct tune out of box but will run.
Edelbrock is easy to tune. My edelbrock gummed up when it sat while my 65 OEM did not gum up when sat same time. Had to rebuild edelbrock about 3 years ago. My Edelbrock has absolutely no issues right now.

I would use intake manifold gasket which blocks exhaust cross over ports to avoid boiling fuel out of carb.

Heat insulator gasket nice if you have room.

My vote for near stock 289 is OEM 4bbl manifold and carb. I would add OEM GT cast iron exhaust manifolds if budget allows and not concerned with exact originality.

Last edited by 001mustang; 12-03-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:40 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

Ok at this point it looks like we are all in agreement about going with the Edelbrock "Performer" manifold. So the only issue is the carb. I just don't like Edelbrock carbs. None of my fellow gear heads here in Connecticut like them either.
I would do some research as the ultimate decision is yours, but I would recommend looking into a Holley 570 cfm Sreet Avenger carb. I've heard good things about those carbs on stock SBF's.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:24 PM
reillymax

They have Edelbrock 600 cfm, Electric Choke, Remanufactured carbs at summit racing at
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-9906/ for a bit less. My friend used one on a stock 289 hipo and worked grate then it sat in a shop for 3 years for body and paint so he replaced it aging so he could move the car. Aging just fired up, for what its worth I live in the SF Bay Area. The paper with the carb said it was tuned for sea level and that held true but that was with an Electric choke. The manual choke carbs are set up different from the factory tuned more for the street/race. If it was me for the Money 600 cfm Electric Choke Edelbrock and hey if you don't like it people buy them used on ebay all day for $200+
Old 12-03-2010, 07:46 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

I really like my 600cfm manual choke edelbrock.
Can control choke and fast idle as desired.
I tuned each mode (idle, cruise, 2BBl and WOT) based on plug color.
Can buy jets/rods separately.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:58 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i would go with a 500cfm will be more peppy
Old 12-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'd run a 500CFM on a stock motor, which had a 480CFM carb to begin with. 600 is big. I've got a 600 on my 350hp 331 and it runs very well.

Edelbrocks are great carbs. They're extremely easy to tune and are very reliable once tuned. The downside is that they're not as tuneable for performance use. Mine's been great to me, though, so I have no problems recommending it to others.

A better option would be an Autolite 4100. Very simple, easy to rebuild, requires no tuning, and has great throttle response (annular boosters). You can usually find a rebuildable core on ebay for $100 or so. $20 for a rebuild kit, plus some carb dip, and you're set to go.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 001mustang
I have OEM 4bbl manifold and carb on 65 289; it is reliable and nice...

My vote for near stock 289 is OEM 4bbl manifold and carb.

Originally Posted by Starfury
...A better option would be an Autolite 4100. Very simple, easy to rebuild, requires no tuning, and has great throttle response (annular boosters).

+1.

Dance with the one that brung ya. PONY CARBURETORS

Last edited by Oxnard Montalvo; 12-04-2010 at 07:46 AM.

Quick Reply: 289 4V Carb & Manifold suggestions?