Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Top end kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Default Top end kit

I am new to this so I need some opinions. In putting together a top end kit for my 91 302 HO this is what I came up with. TFS 170cc heads, Edlebrock Performer RPM intake, 600 Holly carb, E303 cam, TFS rockers, not sure what ignition, need advice. Rear is 3.92 posi. Any better combo for around 300 or so HP? Straight street car. This will be all I do for awhile so I have to live with what I do.
Thanks,
Old 03-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Sounds like a good setup to me. I'm very happy with my Trick Flow heads. Make sure to include a set of chromoly pushrods in your budget; mine were something like $90.

What kind of ignition setup do you have right now? Factory points? Pertronix?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

What ratio rockers? Looks good though.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:48 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Get a better cam, and you'll prolly want something like like a 650 than a 600, or even a 750 with the gears you have.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:34 AM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
Sounds like a good setup to me. I'm very happy with my Trick Flow heads. Make sure to include a set of chromoly pushrods in your budget; mine were something like $90.

What kind of ignition setup do you have right now? Factory points? Pertronix?
Factory ignition. Any suggestions? Thanks for the suggestion on pushrods.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:37 AM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
What ratio rockers? Looks good though.
Ratio should be 1.6, if my research is correct, but like I said, I am learning. I couldn't just by a kit because the Edlebrock is not a roller cam and TFS is for an injected engine so I am trying to go out on my own. That's why I am asking.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:46 AM
Dennis Marks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
Get a better cam, and you'll prolly want something like like a 650 than a 600, or even a 750 with the gears you have.
I am open to suggestions on cams. This is just what I came up with. I know a few that have the E303 cam and really like it. I had just bought a new 600 when I installed the 302 in it now which is a 1980, non roller. I just bought a very low mileage 91 HO 302 that this is going in. I have a fortune in this car already and am having to watch the $ very close or loose a wife. She already thinks I have gone off the deep end on this project but one good thing, it was her idea to buy the car to start with so I had a lot of leeway to start with and she never said much. It is now that I am tearing the car apart again after having it stripped to the unibody and replacing the entire car once. It just wasn't what I wanted so now I am upgrading.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:59 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dennis Marks
I am new to this so I need some opinions. In putting together a top end kit for my 91 302 HO this is what I came up with. TFS 170cc heads, Edlebrock Performer RPM intake, 600 Holly carb, E303 cam, TFS rockers, not sure what ignition, need advice. Rear is 3.92 posi. Any better combo for around 300 or so HP? Straight street car. This will be all I do for awhile so I have to live with what I do.
Thanks,
I'm doing the same build now. The stock 302HO cam is actually pretty good, I opted for a little more lift. With 1.6 rockers I'm getting 549/563 - 219/231 @050. With my cam I had to change the springs in the TFS170s since they are 135 at the seat and my cam grinder wants 150. For the intake I narrowed it down to either the Air Gap or Stealth, I ended up going with the Stealth. Rockers are Comp Cams Steel Ultra-Pro Magnum and Lunati (Morel) roller lifters. Ignition will be MSD, dual pickup distributer with 2 6AL boxes. Carb is a Bigs Holley 650 stage5 double pumper(mechanical secondaries). I'm running a 3.50 rear with a 4R70W trans. For headers I went with FPA long tubes. I too am building a straight street car.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:39 AM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dennis Marks
Thanks,
First off, I don't know everything. I suggest you do more homework before buying anything. I wouldn't use magazines as a research reference. This build seems like a typical build from several years ago. It should easily make 300 at the crank. However, given the money you are spending, you can make more power. I stongly urge you talk with a reputable cam designer/engine builder and buy everything from them. It may be cheaper to buy bare heads and piece the components then it would be to buy complete heads and buy more components to work with the cam you end up using. I would guess that a good designer would recommend larger heads with a short duration, larger lift cam. The kicker would be if you were willing to notch the pistons or not, with the TW heads you may not have to.

Based upon the info given my guess would be:

TW 185 or 190 fast as cast heads
1.7 rockers
cam by the guru you hire
victor jr intake
750 carb

You didn't mention what transmission you have. That may change things.

Regardless, don't spec this out yourself. You are spending a lot of money. Do it right the first time. Don't forget to add up the little stuff. It can eat you alive if your wife doesn't first.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:45 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Ed Curtis at Flowtech can grind a custom hyd roller for your particular car/combination for $325(just for the cam). Then get springs etc. It'll run way better and make way more power.

Quick Reply: Top end kit