Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Project Ein (66 Coupe Resto)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:27 AM
bluemustang1966
1st Gear Member

Default Project Ein (66 Coupe Resto)

So I finally got some time to do more than stare at the car and ask questions from you guys. After cleaning and rebuilding the carb, and replacing the fuel pump I was able to get the car started. Ran pretty well for something that hasn't run in over 10 years. Thanks to all of you for your help in getting me to that point.

So I guess this will be my restoration thread. I'll update when I can, with pictures, because I know we all love pictures These pictures are from when I got it home off the trailer. I gave her a bath before I began work on her so she looks a little better now.

So after getting it running I decided to clean out the interior starting in the back because I coulnd't open the trunk, no keys, and I wanted to pull the gas tank to check it for rust as well.

Got the seats pulled out and vacummed up all the debris and found some surface rust and a couple of small holes in the rear floor board and seat area. Surprisingly, the metal around the holes in still very strong.

Drivers Side

Passenger Side

Then I removed the bolts for the trunk lock and pulled the gas tank out. And, to my surprise no rust in that tank. Looked almost new inside. I couldn't get a good picture of it to show you guys, but shining a flashlight down the filler spout and in the sending unit opening I didn't see any rust or signs of problems.

So with the tank removed onto looking at the trunk condition. Also, very good. A couple of minor spots, but they don't seem structural and don't need any emergency attention.

Continuing my hunt for rust only brought a couple of more bad spots to my attention in the engine bay. The battery box area, seems this is the most common of all places, darn those old batteies.

Structurally the area seems pretty ok, and it appears the battery box took most of the damage.

The other area of concern, although not a whole lot at this moment and time is the drivers side fram rail. All the metal around this hole is solid, couldn't put a pick through it. Will need to be addressed in the future obviously. Picture makes the hole look huge, but it is only 2 or 3 inches across and 1 1/2 to 2 inches tall.

So, my plans moving forward are to clean up the rust I have now and get something on it to protect it. Then get it up on stands and pull the wheels. All the tires need replaced and the wheels all need cleaned up, as well as the wheel covers, which I'll do way down the road. Then brakes and shocks will get replaced. Sticking with drums for now as I don't have the extra money to do disc conversion.

And now, my first question to ya'll through my thread. After cleaning up the wheels, what kind of paint should I use to protect them? They're just the standard generic wheels and I'm going to use the wheel covers, so it doesn't have to be glossy or super pretty, just need to know what type to use to keep them protected from the elements.

Second question; What is the best way to remove the dealer badge on the back? It is one of the sticky kind and I've never removed one of these before. I'm thinking a heat gun maybe, but, I'm worried about hurting the paint as that is mostly intact on this car.

Thanks as always. Love comments and suggestions!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:51 AM
MustangFTW

Nice body looks good on the outside, any rust in side pockets in truck?

Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 AM
bluemustang1966
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFTW
Nice body looks good on the outside, any rust in side pockets in truck?
Actually, no. Those are nice and clean. I was amazed how little there was overall. Someone was smiling on me with this one.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:09 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Glad you got it started. Looks pretty good if that's all the rust there is. For the wheels, just paint them with rustoleum or similar, unless you're going for a full on restoration.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:05 PM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Sticky back badges are easily removed with fishing string. Take a piece a foot long or so, tie each end to a stick/screwdriver/whatever, and slip the string behind the emblem. Slide it back and forth with each stick sawing the glue/rubber tape in two as you go from one end to the other.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:11 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Looking good! Just typical rust that doesn't look too bad. Do you know how to weld? If you do it shouldn't be much trouble for ya. If not, it'll be easy enough to learn.
Glad to hear it started up well!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:30 PM
boeing747arowair
3rd Gear Member

Some motor pics!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:51 AM
bluemustang1966
1st Gear Member

Got some engine pics for you now. Didn't accomplish much yesterday. Got her up on stands and ended up cleaning up my work area and the floor in the garage as much leaves and stuff blew in a couple of weeks ago while doing some yard work.

Engine shots

Poor Radiator, seen much better days.

On stands:

Few Shop Pics.
Parts and storage:

Workspace:

Documentation:

Old 03-30-2011, 09:33 AM
boeing747arowair
3rd Gear Member

nice man keep it up! By the way is that a manual choke you have on that?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:53 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Nice setup in your garage!

That engine bay definitely needs some cleaning but it's great that it's running!

Quick Reply: Project Ein (66 Coupe Resto)