Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Changing headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:55 PM
Rols574
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by frdnut
+1........What trans do you have?..The tri-ys can be a bit of a pain if you have a manual trans..You need the proper Z bar for clearance of the tubes...They are very easy to install on the engine itself..No harder than manifolds...
I have a manual 3 speed. so z bar is another thing to look at huh? ill give it a shot this weekend. let u guys know how it turns out
Old 06-01-2011, 07:08 AM
Rat fink
2nd Gear Member

Last edited by Rat fink; 06-03-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Rols574
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rat fink
67t5ponycoupe

that's why I put "Darwin needs to take over".
If you have nothing productive to say would you please refrain from commenting on my posts.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:51 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
There is nothing on a stock exhaust manifold that could be stripped causing you to need to change to headers. If there is a problem with the bolts holding the manifold to the head then change the bolts. If it is a problem with the studs where the front pipe bolts up then change the studs. The reason your mechanic is giving you for changing out to headers is silly. Manifolds are basically no maintenance items and headers require regular maintenance to check for tightness. None of this makes any sense to me.
+1 -- very same opinion here
the manifolds can crack, which requires replacement. But I've never seen that
the bolts/threads are stripped. well that has absolutely nothing to do with the manifold.

if there are studs, well they have to be replaced
if they are bolts then you might get away with new bolts and cleaning the threads

but essentially there is no reason to change the exhaust manifold other than:
- the manifold is cracked
- you are looking for a performance gain
- there's nothing on the manifold that could strip asking for a replacement

Kalli
Old 06-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Rat fink
2nd Gear Member

Last edited by Rat fink; 06-03-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Rols574
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
but essentially there is no reason to change the exhaust manifold other than:
- the manifold is cracked
- you are looking for a performance gain
- there's nothing on the manifold that could strip asking for a replacement

Kalli
Thank you for your help and the time you took to explain. I will probably go with the Tri-Y's anyway to gain some HP.

Rat Fink
I know nothing of engines which is why I posted a question. The obvious thing to do when one does not know something is to ask around. You are the first person as I have seen in this board that resulted to mockery which is a shame. Every one here is very helpful, thankfully your attitude will not deter me from asking questions in the future. You asked me to tell the other 2 guys what i told you? I did. I posted in a forum for everyone to see. Difference being they took time out of their day to explain to me the reasons why it does not make sense to them. Now that they explained it, it makes sense to me too. How easy was that? again, please refrain from commenting on my posts if you have nothing constructive to say.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Rat fink
2nd Gear Member

Last edited by Rat fink; 06-03-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:10 PM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rols574
Thank you for your help and the time you took to explain. I will probably go with the Tri-Y's anyway to gain some HP.
Do you have power steering? If you do, the tri-y headers will touch the steering components. You'll have to buy a drop bracket for your power steering ram.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:26 PM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
There is nothing on a stock exhaust manifold that could be stripped causing you to need to change to headers. If there is a problem with the bolts holding the manifold to the head then change the bolts. If it is a problem with the studs where the front pipe bolts up then change the studs. The reason your mechanic is giving you for changing out to headers is silly. Manifolds are basically no maintenance items and headers require regular maintenance to check for tightness. None of this makes any sense to me.
Interesting. How often should one check the bolts of their headers?

Also....what happened to the mods in here? I reported RatFink multiple times and nothings been done. I guess until we get better "supervision" dont feed the trolls should be the norm

Last edited by rst08tierney; 06-01-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Rols574
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nassaubayman
Do you have power steering? If you do, the tri-y headers will touch the steering components. You'll have to buy a drop bracket for your power steering ram.
Wow, for the first time I'll have to say "I'm glad I dont have power steering". That is, however, in the plans somewhere in the future.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Changing headers