Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Low/High beam question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:43 AM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Default Low/High beam question

So, I noticed while driving my new stang that the light beam was narrow and I noticed that I could see the light on the trees overhead. Then on high, I see a strong beam more sharply focused to the other lane.

Now, when I got home, I saw that all the lights, wagner halogen's, wording on the bulb were vertical. So, I assumed that this was why my beam was so narrow on the road.

I then switched from each side, the cups that holds the bulbs in order to get the bub to fit. Each bulb had a nub on each side that sat in those cups to sit more flush.

So, I didn't have time to adjust or see the light after as I was in the garage and it was too late to start the car to move it, I didn't want to wake the neibs.

Was I right on this or did I just spend an hour (Damn retention spring) changing something that was right?
Old 06-14-2011, 09:35 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I hate swapping out bulbs in my 69. The spring thing is just terrible and the retaining rings break just at the wrong time. I can tell you that I set mine all up the same with the writing on the bottom. I also had to adjust each bulb (4) for horizontal and vertical alignment. I basically put a sheet on the wall of the garage, backed the car away about 10 feet, found the center line, and matched up the bulbs. Not the best way, but it worked for me.