Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65 Mustang project

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 07:37 PM
OkBrent
1st Gear Member

Went ahead and started fitting the rear apron to weld in this weekend. Fit was not very good. Had to hammer the lip flat so I had enough metal to reach the firewall, than trim it and weld my own lip on it. Looks like it will fit good now. Brent

Last edited by OkBrent; 04-28-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:41 AM
200ci66
1st Gear Member

Awesome pictures! The car looked good before the teardown, although I'm sure pictures like that hide a lot. I still show people pictures of the car before the resto and they tell me I shouldn't have spent the money and time.

You guys are doing a good job of eliminating the problem areas. Good to see you got the kids involved too.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Couper
2nd Gear Member

Who did the blasting, I've read on another board that someone in OK does it for $500.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:34 AM
OkBrent
1st Gear Member

Isam Sand Blasting (David) 918-438-7344 cost me 400.00 and he shot it in industrial primer for 200.00. They did a great jod but it took a few weeks because they were backed up. Im going to end up stripping the primer off but it protects it for now. If you are going to blast it, I will tell you the one thing I didn't do and wish I had was putty knife all the seam sealer off first. They don't get it all off because they dont want to "stay on it" with the media because it will weaken the metal around it. Good Luck, Brent
Old 09-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Couper
2nd Gear Member

I've read that some guys in CA have paid $1,500 + for blasting, $400.00 is very cheap, what do they blast with, my next question was will it take off bondo, but if seam sealer is still there,....

Why strip off the primer?
Old 09-27-2011, 08:42 PM
OkBrent
1st Gear Member

They compared the media to the fine white sand that they used to put in ash trays outside of restarants. It would take bondo off, but they would have to stay on it and the area around it would be eaten up......I am real happy with the job and they were and have done alot of high dollar muscle cars so I felt confortable with leaving mine there. Brent
Old 09-29-2011, 10:19 PM
Couper
2nd Gear Member

Why strip the primer, not sure just what industrial primer is.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:24 AM
OkBrent
1st Gear Member

I want to put a epoxey primer down first to make sure everything bonds well. Not sure if this is over kill or not, just want to make sure. Brent
Old 11-06-2011, 06:25 PM
OkBrent
1st Gear Member

Well its been a little while, I have been working backwards on the project. Seem like a few of the items I welded on wern't quite right so I had to remove them and replace. The right rear fender apron I had to modifiy to fit looked good but I found out the hood hinge location holes didn't quite match up so I removed it and am waiting on a new one. I put in the drivers side pan and found out I had set the brace under the pan to high and I didn't like the hump in the middle so I cut it out and replaced with a "long pan". The new long pan had the lip that welds to the rocker going down. My lips roll up. I cut it lenght wise and flipped it over and welded it back. I have butt welded everything and can't belive how long it takes. I know I'm alittle slow, but, I don't see how people can afford to pay the shop fees to have someone do the work for them? I will start moving to the back of the car with a new quarter skin and tail light pannel and brace. Thanks for looking, Brent
Old 11-06-2011, 06:27 PM
OkBrent
1st Gear Member

How the car sit now

More new metal than old!

Last edited by OkBrent; 04-28-2013 at 07:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 65 Mustang project