Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Can I ask a paint question here?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 06:06 AM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Default Can I ask a paint question here?????

If not mod's please move....

I'm kinda shying away from shooting a base coat clear coat job on my car since my buddy died. He was the owner of the body shop I had my 67 at and we worked on it in our spare time.
Shooting a base coat clear coat job seems quite tedious with all the sanding required and it requires special stuff.

I built a paint booth in my shop. A 2x4 box frame covered in visquine. One entry and a fan forcing filtered air in.

21 gallon compressor. Some gravity feed guns and some suction guns.

Was thinking of this red but I don't know now....

Might go with the original red or I might go with something as dark. What single stage paint would be the best?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:44 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

You won't get as red like that with one stage paint.

Frankly, IMO, when you want a GOOD paint job, a base clear is easier, and more sure than a single stage.

I like the fact that with a two stage, once you get the base right, you clear.

It is relatively easy to spray a base, and virtually no matter what, a clear can be "fixed".

For a beginner, it will be easier to get a base/clear right than single stage. Yes, single stage can be fixed, but it is more work, and requires more skill.

If you are going for an "as sprayed" finish maybe one stage is the right choice, but unless it is a work truck, everything I paint gets cut and buffed. I hate orange peel.....
Old 09-19-2011, 10:29 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

21 gallon compressor is too small...there is no extra sanding required to spray bc/cc unless youre gonna sand trash out of the base....
Old 09-19-2011, 06:28 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Idk if i would say base clear is more easy. Its almost impossible to screw up single stage. When ive helped buddys spray their cars ive let them do a panel if they want to try one. You can lay on as much paint as you want run it as much as u want and just color sand it out and it tends to lay better. Ive let a buddy do a quarter and he near ran the whole quarter top to bottom and besides extra time to sand it wasnt hard to make look good. As long as you lay on enough single stage almost anything can be sanded out of it. Im not saying base clear is that much harder but when i started doing my own projects i found single stage a bit more easy to do. You also can clear over single stage.

Thats just what i think im not a full time painter just paint my project cars and some buddys from time to time.

Originally Posted by JMD
You won't get as red like that with one stage paint.

Frankly, IMO, when you want a GOOD paint job, a base clear is easier, and more sure than a single stage.

I like the fact that with a two stage, once you get the base right, you clear.

It is relatively easy to spray a base, and virtually no matter what, a clear can be "fixed".

For a beginner, it will be easier to get a base/clear right than single stage. Yes, single stage can be fixed, but it is more work, and requires more skill.

If you are going for an "as sprayed" finish maybe one stage is the right choice, but unless it is a work truck, everything I paint gets cut and buffed. I hate orange peel.....

Last edited by jp1967stang; 09-19-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 PM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Oh ok, well this helps a bunch. Thanks so much

So 21 gallons is too small of a compressor. How big should I procure for this?

BTW that color above is Toreador Red
Old 09-19-2011, 09:32 PM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

OK, the two colors I am looking at are from House of Kolor, Shimrin Kandy basecoats.

KBC01 Brandywine
KBC11 Apple Red

I'm assuming I'll just need to buy about a gallon of base coat, half gallon of clear, thinner, hardener, and I'm thinking that'd be it right?

My car is primed already....

Old 09-19-2011, 09:33 PM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Or do I need more clear?
Old 09-19-2011, 11:48 PM
jgstang65
2nd Gear Member

i agree that the base/clear is the way for you to go! i have painted 30 plus mustangs for myself/customers and its pretty easy...since your just starting out, after you get the base on you might want to fog the last coat on if its a metalic! or you might see the strokes/lines....fogging the color is holding the gun 12-16" away from the panel so all the color blends nice! with a 1 stage you might get in trouble with runs etc....the good thing on base is by the time you start on one side and go around the car you can keep going untill your happy...it drys fast! give it an hour before the clear, and be really patient and give a good 30 mins between coats or you might get runs.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:51 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I use near about a gallon of clear on most cars, sometimes not including jambs... (I usually use more clear than base)

I would start with a gallon. You don't need to buy the high dollar clear. Last week my son tried some "Motor City" clear, it was inexpensive and worked well.

As far as color sanding single stage, it can work well so long as there is no metallic involved. Even with solid colors b/c is easier to cut and buff, imo of course....

The size of the air tanks doesn't matter so much so long as the compressor can generate enough air to supply the gun at pressure, (CFM) Check the CFM requirement of the paint gun, sander, etc. and add about 50% to find a suitable compressor. A GOOD 5HP compressor or a really, really good 3hp (in a pinch) should work ok.

When checking out compressors, don't be fooled by "HP ratings", watch the CFM, and at WHAT PRESSURE the CFM is generated.

Last edited by JMD; 09-19-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:52 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

you are planning to spray a kandy over the base coats?? if so ill advise against that...it take a higher level of skill than your first paint job...

also if you spray a kandy youre gonna need all the panels hung(good idea with any metallic though) so the paint matches on each panel and you gotta be careful not to stripe the paint....overlapping is key

as for compressor id say an 80 gallon 2 stage....plus you need a dryer to get the water out of the lines so it doesnt contaminate the paint...

Quick Reply: Can I ask a paint question here?????