Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

exhaust manifold vs headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Toastintx
1st Gear Member

Default exhaust manifold vs headers

ok guys is there really a whole lot of difference between stock manifold, 289 hi pro manifold, and headers. i hve cheap headers on now 302, i had to dent in the tube a little for the shock tower. should i go back with stock or hi pro? hows the sound difference and performance
Old 11-15-2011, 08:57 PM
MustangFTW

Firstly, it's Hi-Po.

Now denting any thing on an exhaust is no good since it kills the flow. If you do headers I would only do long tubes which can be nasty to get on and are expensive. I say go with the 289 HiPo manifolds. While your at it you can remove the heads and port them for a nice gain if you would like.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:02 PM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

Long tube headers are much better than manifolds when it comes to performance..The HI-Po manifolds are not much better than the garden variety units..
Old 11-15-2011, 09:08 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by frdnut
Long tube headers are much better than manifolds when it comes to performance..The HI-Po manifolds are not much better than the garden variety units..
this...

i would have dented the shock tower before the headers
Old 11-15-2011, 09:12 PM
MustangFTW

HIpos might be better then the cheap headers. As said above long tubes are the way to go, the newer mustangs see gains of 20rwhp from them, if you port the heads I wouldn't doubt a bigger jump from a 289. Be prepared to curse yourself to hell and back when installing them. :-P

Old 11-15-2011, 10:14 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I know some disagree, but I despise long tube headers on most cars, they can be a pain in the *** to fit, they often drag the ground on a Mustang, and the good ones are damn expensive.

All in all, I say a good ceramic coated mid length header or HIPPO manifolds for a classic Mustang. If you aren't looking to extract max power from your engine, then manifolds might be the way to go.

My son just bought HIPPO manifolds for his 64 Falcon, he has gotten tired of messing with his mid length headers, and I don't blame him.

Sometimes "compromise" is the smart move.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:27 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Good headers are great but not cheap if you buy cheap ones they don't fight right and will leak over time.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:00 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

If you're not willing to spend the money on good headers, don't whine about performance and fitment. Good parts cost good money, period.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:27 AM
Toastintx
1st Gear Member

thanks for the input guys, I think im leaning toward the manifolds. is there that much diff in stock compared to HIPO, i know i just asked the same ? but headers are out
Old 11-16-2011, 08:43 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
If you're not willing to spend the money on good headers, don't whine about performance and fitment. Good parts cost good money, period.
Haven't heard a single complaint about these headers, including those that have installed them with a 4R70W. http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/FPA%20index1.htm

Quick Reply: exhaust manifold vs headers