Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I hit a deer.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 05:04 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default I hit a deer.

A few years ago, before I had the body of my old 65 restored, I was driving out in west Texas at night on my way home from work which was about a 25 mile trek, and a dang deer jumped out in front of me. Well, naturally I didn't have the time to stop before hitting it even though I slammed on the shoe brakes and left some pretty visable tire tread marks on the road. Those old shoe brakes will do their job if enough scared pressure is applied. No, it is not disc brake or ABS stopping power, but the wheels will lock. Anyhoo, this buck white tail deer must have stumbled or something because instead of going over my hood and into my windshield, he went underneath. He had a 6 point rack, so you can imagine the rattling around that went on for those few seconds. After I finally got old yeller stopped and inspected it for damage, the dang deer tore off the front valance, tore off the muffler (yeah, I only had one back then) and tore off the tailpipe. I went back and looked at the deer, and he was already in deer heaven. Now, I was in a quandry about what to do with the deer. Fortunately I had my trusty cell phone with me, so I called 911 and asked for the Sheriff to come investigate and tell me what to do. He showed up about an hour later (there are long stretches in west Texas, and the nearest town was Ozona which was about 50 miles away) and told me to not worry about anything, to just drive my mustang back to the house if it is capable. Well, there was virtually no damage to the fenders or drivetrain, so I drove it home without a muffler. Man, these 289's are loud as hell without a muffler. Anyhow, with all the other damage, I noticed the rubber plug floor pan hole on the rear passenger side had also been hit by the deer's antlers or hooves, and the metal was bent out of shape so that the plug didn't keep water from soaking my rear carpet on that side. I hammered it out as best as I could when I replaced the carpet, but not perfectly round, so the plug doesn't exactly do it's best job. I put some roofing tar around it to temporarily hold it, but that ain't my idea of how to fix a problem. So, I am asking you guys. What is the proper method to get that hole perfectly round again?
Old 09-15-2005, 05:19 PM
pak133
1st Gear Member

Default RE: I hit a deer.

One possible solution would be to get a piece of pipe that is perfecty round and put it in the hole and support it so it'll stay there for a while, maybe we ld a clip or something a long those lines. The lead the area creating a perfectly round hole. lead will only atick to the area that is tinned so as long as you don't tin the piece of pipe the lead won't stick to it. Knock out the pipe when you are done and put in your plug. I'd stay away from body fill because no matter how you seal it it will eventually get hit with water and fail.

Another option might be to weld in a new section of floor pan to just that area. Get a little creative with the cutting and go for it.

Phil
Old 09-15-2005, 05:20 PM
pak133
1st Gear Member

FYI that's just what I would do, but you all have seen my car and I'm a little bit of a maniac!!

Phil
Old 09-15-2005, 05:21 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

those are suppost to have a rubber filling??? oh ****!!...*runs outside to investigate*

yeah i dont have any!!...my pop must have hit a lot of dears when he owned the vehichle...lol

Old 09-15-2005, 05:24 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

You da man Pak. I think that lead idea just may work. Now, to find the correct sized pipe.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:30 PM
pak133
1st Gear Member

Eastwood has a kit for about $100.

I just realized you and I have the same cars (well mine is in pieces right now) 65 289, 2v 3speed!!

Can't wait to drive it....should be any year now!!!

Phil
Old 09-15-2005, 05:30 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: eZ

those are suppost to have a rubber filling??? oh ****!!...*runs outside to investigate*

yeah i dont have any!!...my pop must have hit a lot of dears when he owned the vehichle...lol

Yes you do DA. You have rubber plugs in your floor pans.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:51 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

*also runs to look*

CRAP

Okay i added that to my 300 page to do list.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Markstang1969
3rd Gear Member

Dam mitt; Your list is Only 300 pages [:@]