Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Holley "bolt on" EFI...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Chopsaw78

Default Holley "bolt on" EFI...

I have been doing some research recently on these "bolt on and go" EFI set ups that Holley is offering, after i saw the ad during the powerblock on spike. I have been wrestling with the choice between one of these units and swaping a 5.0 engine. With that, if I go with the 5.0l I was planning to add the T-5 also. It will be more economical on paper to bolt on the efi, but what kind of power/milage are the producing?

So i was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them and if anyone had any personal info on them? thanks in advance!

Here is a link to the holley site...
http://www.holley.com/550-400.asp
Old 03-13-2012, 06:06 PM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

I am going to be running the professional products efi on my 68. I have done a lot of research and so far it looks like the best bang for your buck.

http://www.professional-products.com/EFI_3.php
Old 03-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Chopsaw78

Originally Posted by 03BottleFedGT
I am going to be running the professional products efi on my 68. I have done a lot of research and so far it looks like the best bang for your buck.

http://www.professional-products.com/EFI_3.php
Thanks! Very interesting. I am going to do some digging on this kit. Looks like it is all there.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:37 PM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

Yeah its all there and much cleaner looking than most the efi conversions out there. And I personally like the fact that I dont have to run a fuel return line.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

I have had the Powerjection 3 for a few years now and havent had any problems with it.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:39 AM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

I've been on the fence between the Powerjection III (returnless style) and the new Atomic EFI by MSD. At Summit, they are priced nearly the same. The major differences seem to by 80lb injectors, 525HP rating, included fule line and calibration module for the polished Atomic. 62lb injectors and 550HP rating for PJIII.

You also get a free MSD Digital 6A ignition box from MSD until 5/31/12. Guess you can use it, or sell it to recover some of the initial purchase costs.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:18 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

We installed the FAST EFI "Retro" computer and harness on my son's 302 with "stock 5.0" hardware. It was an easy, fast, and economical way to get multi port EFI at a total cost of about $1,200 once we bought the stuff needed to make the idle air circuit work. The car drives well, and is easy to reprogram for motor mods, etc., with no need for computer "reflashes".

We bought this after making a stock 5.0 computer work, but I didn't like all of the error codes because of the emission control stuff the computer wanted but wasn't installed, (i.e. evaporative control etc). At this point the computer needed to be reprogrammed, and we said screw it.

I am pretty sure one of the Holley setups uses a repro Chevrolet big block throttle body injector unit. Take this for what it's worth.

I should state that the FAST retro setup is NOT sequential, it is bank fired. I haven't seen a real world down side to this. Also, the Retro setup DOES NOT handle ignition so we are running it with a Duraspark II ignition.

Last edited by JMD; 03-15-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:27 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

For a less economical solution consider Edelbrock's Pro Flo II setup, I think it is the bomb, Total control of all engine management via a handheld in car control box, easy to tune, and it looks very cool....

It comes complete as pictured with a new MSD distributor and Air Gap intake...

Old 03-15-2012, 12:44 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shelbymustangdan
I've been on the fence between the Powerjection III (returnless style) and the new Atomic EFI by MSD. At Summit, they are priced nearly the same. The major differences seem to by 80lb injectors, 525HP rating, included fule line and calibration module for the polished Atomic. 62lb injectors and 550HP rating for PJIII.

You also get a free MSD Digital 6A ignition box from MSD until 5/31/12. Guess you can use it, or sell it to recover some of the initial purchase costs.
The 6A would allow spark control also, so it should be used and not sold. Not sure if the other systems do that.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Chopsaw78

Thanks for the info! Glad I posted up in here. Sounds like the powerjection 3 or the MSD Atomic are the way to go then. I am going to look into them both right now!

Quick Reply: Holley "bolt on" EFI...