Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Carpet & Upholstery Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 10:21 PM
MontanaMustangGuy

Default Carpet & Upholstery Pricing

What is a fair price to pay for someone to take care of carpet and upholstery installation in my 66 Mustang Coupe? I have already bought a "mass back" carpet kit molded to fit and I have new upholstery seat covers for 2 buckets and a bench along with seat foam. I just need a guy to install all of it so it's done properly. So it would consist of removing the old carpet, installing the new carpet, removing the seats and doing the reupholstery work. One quote I got from a guy who looked my car over is around $900. He charges $45/hour so if you calculate that out, that's 20 hours of labor. Is this legitimate? I thought that was pretty high but I have never done this before. Can you pros give me some ideas....just wanna make sure I'm not getting screwed. Thanks so much!
Old 09-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Do the carpet yourself, its very easy. As for the seats, your quote is rediculously high. I just got a quote for 2 Flow Fit seats, where his is MAKING new covers for 140 each.

I sould look somewhere esle. I installed my own seat covers on my stock seats years ago.Probably took about 3 hours per seat and that wasnt knowing what i was doing.

or find another shop.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:23 AM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

i just paid $500 to have an upholstery shop remove the original upholstery from one seat, paint one frame (i had removed everything from the passenger side seat and painted that frame), then install the new covers and foam I had provided. I installed the trim, seat backs, seat tracks, etc. He claimed he had 15 hours of labor for the two front high back buckets.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Hwyman

I took the seats (front and back) out, welded up the breaks in the frame, and took them and my new seat covers to a shop. $250 to recover them and give them back for me to install. Several other bids were 300 to 350. I was having trouble getting the "molded" carpet to fit and mentioned it to him when I picked up the seats. He came over on a Sat. morning with a helper and put in the carpet for $100. It was a shop that does a lot of older cars and custom work, so they were pretty good at it.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

I own my own upholster shop and do small jobs; Sucks your not in Maryland! I charge $100 a seat, and $175 for the back (not including seat foam and covers). I blast and repaint frames, and put better foam in the back seat. Carpet.... I would probably charge $100 for carpet as well....

But for a full time shop I guess $900 is in line.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:35 PM
MontanaMustangGuy

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by Stangatic
I own my own upholster shop and do small jobs; Sucks your not in Maryland! I charge $100 a seat, and $175 for the back (not including seat foam and covers). I blast and repaint frames, and put better foam in the back seat. Carpet.... I would probably charge $100 for carpet as well....

But for a full time shop I guess $900 is in line.

Stangatic, thank you for this info. I found this to be helpful. I'll see if I can talk him down a little bit, or maybe will try the carpet myself. Thanks again!
Old 09-13-2012, 01:36 PM
MontanaMustangGuy

Originally Posted by BuckeyeDemon
i just paid $500 to have an upholstery shop remove the original upholstery from one seat, paint one frame (i had removed everything from the passenger side seat and painted that frame), then install the new covers and foam I had provided. I installed the trim, seat backs, seat tracks, etc. He claimed he had 15 hours of labor for the two front high back buckets.

BuckeyeDemon, thank you for this info. Makes me feel a little bit better that this guy isn't too far off on his pricing then to do all that I want done. I might try to talk him down a little bit. Thanks again!
Old 09-13-2012, 01:38 PM
MontanaMustangGuy

Originally Posted by Hwyman
I took the seats (front and back) out, welded up the breaks in the frame, and took them and my new seat covers to a shop. $250 to recover them and give them back for me to install. Several other bids were 300 to 350. I was having trouble getting the "molded" carpet to fit and mentioned it to him when I picked up the seats. He came over on a Sat. morning with a helper and put in the carpet for $100. It was a shop that does a lot of older cars and custom work, so they were pretty good at it.

Hwyman, thank you for this info! I found it helpful! I'd say you got a good deal and I will try to talk my guy down a little bit....that or attempt the carpet myself. Thanks again!
Old 09-13-2012, 05:05 PM
MontanaMustangGuy

Got a 3rd bid and it came in at $600 for the whole thing....removing the seats and carpet and then installing the new carpet and reupholstering and re-installing the seats, too. Now that is much better. Thanks fellas!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:46 PM
GibMax
2nd Gear Member

I got a quote to replace the seat covers for $500. Includes the seat covers. Does not include removing the seats.

Quick Reply: Carpet & Upholstery Pricing