Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Sold engine, did I cheat this guy

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 05:30 AM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Default Sold engine, did I cheat this guy

Okay, I had an engine that came with the mustang I bought. I was told it was rebuilt and that it was sitting or a year in his barn before he added it to the sale.

So, I posted it on Craigslist as it and mentioned that it was sitting for a total o 3 years.

Yesterday the guy can to look at it, we opened the crate, he saw that the freeze plug was out as that is where they drained it and he made sure that he could crank it manually, moved no issues. IT came with a used 650 double pumper and alt. HE decided he wanted it. I said that i it weas a major issue like heads cracked that I would work with him.

So, he called as he took the pan of and said the oil was dark and that there were scratches on the cyl. walls and rust. He is going to compression test it asd let me know

Now, it was sitting for 1 year in a barn and 2 in a garage. The below pic is the cyl.

I was selling for 1k as I had no build sheet at all and all I knew was what I was told. I gave it to him for 850.

Do you think I screwed him, does he still have a deal with this? I know that the intake looked brand new and the rockers looked great and the heads super clean. Maybe it was just a reresh.
Attached Thumbnails Sold engine, did I cheat this guy-img952253.jpg  

Last edited by dmaclaren; 06-24-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:43 AM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

pics from ad.
Attached Thumbnails Sold engine, did I cheat this guy-crate_5.jpg   Sold engine, did I cheat this guy-crate_3.jpg  
Old 06-23-2013, 08:38 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

If you were acting in good faith and laying all your cards on the table then I don't think you screwed him.

If I know an engine is in good running condition then I'll stand behind it not to knock or smoke but that is where the warranty ends.

As a rule when I am buying a used engine unless I can hear it cold start and run or I can pull the pan and at least a couple rod caps to get good eyes on what is going on inside, I'll avoid it.

Due diligence is called for when buying a used motor & then I say doubly so and that it falls under the heading of Caveat Emptor.

But you know the conversation you had with him, what was said while the deal was being made and what he could reasonably expect so let your conscience be your guide.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

If i bought it, i would be pissed. Would i expect money back? Sure. Do i think you owe him anything, not really, its a USED engine that was sitting.

Did you tell him it was running before?
Old 06-23-2013, 12:28 PM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

I had an engine lift and he had the ability and I had tools for him to do anything he wanted. I told him that the guy sold it to me with the car and he said he had it rebuilt and it was sitting for a while with him in a barn and in my garage for over 2 years. I had a valve cover off as was in the pics I posted. I showed him the missing freeze plug as it looksed where they drained it.

All the gaskets looked like liquid gaskets ans it wasn't painted all that well. I also told him that if there was a major issue like a cracked head, I would work with him on that.

So, 850 the payment. Now I never guaranteed anything but that major issue. I know how I would feel but I didn't hide anything and they chose to not even pull the oil pan. I believe that if he did that at the house, he would have started to haggle more than the 150 reduction or not bought. He chose to bu it. I never said that it was running and only told him about it as to the extent I was told about it.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

You must be a stand up guy or you wouldn't have asked the question to begin with. If you had the lift and tools why didn't you pull the pan and inspect it yourself before selling it? Of not for anything other than your own peace of mind.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:20 PM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

texting him, he wants to drop it off for a return. I told him he bought it as it as it's his. He doesn't want to put it in his truck after cleaning the sitting for years rust and doesn't appear to want to run it outside the truck. He said would have rather bought a running $200 dollar one ans that I owe him. So, I guess I need to think about if I am going to refund him some $$ for it and if so, how mush. I don't want it back as I didn't want it to begin wiht and I don't know what he has done to it as he is opening it up.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:47 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Here is a reference point. I just sold a known running 351w longblock for 550 with new gaskets and timing chain. I was a low compression dog of an engine based on the head and pistons, that's why it's gone. I couldn't get any action on it at higher price.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:31 AM
sethalot
2nd Gear Member

My opinion is that the buyer is slightly dense for paying 1k for a used engine, most running engines around my area run $150-500. You shouldn't feel like you cheated him since he had plenty of time to inspect the engine before taking it. As for the refund that is up to you, I might be inclined to return a small portion but your not responsible for his bad buy.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:55 AM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

I guess I will look to add up what could be sold off in parts, like the heads, block, intake, pump, carb, alt, etc.. and see what that number is. Lessons learned on selling and having to deal with people....

Quick Reply: Sold engine, did I cheat this guy