-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (
-   -   If you have a T-5 which shift handle do u hv (

MonsterBilly 08-01-2014 05:51 PM

If you have a T-5 which shift handle do u hv
So i am about 6 ft. tall and i have a t5 in my 66. I have a hurst shift handle and i have to lean way forward to shift it into 3rd and 5th. I am wanting a shift handle that will be a little longer and have more lay back angle.

I am ready to order but not sure which will be the best. I think I currently have a 10in. hurst handle.

Starfury 08-01-2014 06:40 PM

As much as it seems like a really extravagant part, I'd look at Mustang Plus's restomod 5-sp remote shifter mechanism. Before I stumbled on my close-ratio toploader, I was pretty set on a 5sp with this specific remote shifter. I sat in one of their showroom cars that had it installed and I was pretty happy with the location and the feel.

Keep in mind, however, that you should still invest in a quality shifter. Something like a Steeda Tri-Ax or a Pro 5.0 to give you a solid, positive shift feel. The factory shifter is like trying to shift with a rubber stick.

barnett468 08-01-2014 10:40 PM


if you do not want a remote shifter, you can simply modify what you have. hey, if hurst and mopar can do it, you can too.


67mustang302 08-01-2014 10:57 PM

I have a Tri-Ax on my TKO with the M+ Restomod shifter, works well.

MonsterBilly 08-02-2014 11:52 AM

I have a Hurst that I as far as solid shifting and the short throw. I am just looking for a longer handle with more of a set back. I have seen the m+ retro handle and it seems like the correct dimensions but I don't care for the look.

barnett468 08-02-2014 06:45 PM


there is the retro arm with the 64 - 67 factory look and one by lokar. you need to make one as i suggested if you don't want either of those.

Gun Jam 08-02-2014 07:41 PM

I built this one for like 10 bucks

Works great!

barnett468 08-02-2014 08:08 PM

very cool.

nice console too.

one could even mill out slots in it for a more "space age" look.

Gun Jam 08-02-2014 10:07 PM


Mustangdemon67 08-03-2014 04:40 PM

I found mine on eBay, for about 70$ you can find the handle with the shift ball. They have all types of different measurements and shapes. Just need to figure out which one would suit you best and your good to go. Easy install, it's just the two bolts.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 AM.